Rooster breed

maplelady

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Once again trying to identify this rooster

Once again trying to identify this rooster
I do not know if he's pure but he looks to be at least partly Silver Phoenix. That is the Silver Duckwing color pattern and he has a similar body shape, but seems not quite pure, wrong color earlobes. That's the only thing I got for you, sorry. Phoenix have white earlobes and his appear to be red. Now that I guessed, some Phoenix breeder will come in and tell me I'm all wet, but... BUT, there is also a Silver Duckwing Welsummer, I found, and that would have red earlobes, so maybe that.

I do think his body seems more hefty than a Phoenix, but again, could be a mix. Or just another breed with the silver duckwing color pattern like the Welsummer. Is he large fowl or bantam? Looks LF in the photo.

Last edited:
Thank you,that was my guess too. Yes,he's a good size boy with a bad temper. He takes great care of the hens,but you can't trust him. I got him from a young friend who didn't listen when I told him no rooster. So he's going on 2 and he's so handsome but you need to be careful,he launches himself at you. Lucky no spurs and my husband trimmed his claws and wing feather. I keep a livestock paddle with me when he's near.

Thank you,that was my guess too. Yes,he's a good size boy with a bad temper. He takes great care of the hens,but you can't trust him. I got him from a young friend who didn't listen when I told him no rooster. So he's going on 2 and he's so handsome but you need to be careful,he launches himself at you. Lucky no spurs and my husband trimmed his claws and wing feather. I keep a livestock paddle with me when he's near.

And he'll pass on the bad temperament to most of his sons, too. I wouldn't put up with that, too many really great roosters in this world. Life's too short to have to watch your back. You can breed for temperament, I sure do.

No breeding here! Will see how long I can tolerate this. Hate to end it for him,he's so beautiful,but I've had ugly ones before and at a certain point...

No breeding here! Will see how long I can tolerate this. Hate to end it for him,he's so beautiful,but I've had ugly ones before and at a certain point...

I know, but pretty is as pretty does. No rooster is worth the stress of that, IMO. I've had the sweetest, calmest roosters in more than one breed here so they've set the bar high. I will not breed from an aggressive rooster. Now, the tiny Belgian D'anvers are only about 22 ounces and a flog from them is like a puff of air, but even my worst one I still have has mellowed some in his old age (he's 5). It's more of a breed trait with them-they are not the brightest bulbs in the package and in my experience, the most intelligent roosters are the ones who do not attack the food, water and treat providers.

Best of luck to you. He is handsome, I'll grant you that, but....

Back
Top Bottom