Rooster breed?

Jan 9, 2019
Missouri, U.S.
Hey, all! I came home yesterday to find that we had taken in the neighbor’s daughter’s rooster. Whether or not this is permanent is up in the air. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of breed he is. He is really scruffy from being picked on by the rooster he had been with, but he does have frizzle feathers. I don’t know how old he is, but he is smaller than both on my hens, so I think he might be a bantam. Also, we are concerned about his wings. We think they must have been clipped but they are very stubby. Do clipped wings grow back or no? We don’t clip our chickens wings and worry not being able to fly will be a huge disadvantage to him. Lastly, does anyone know if frizzled feathers affect a chicken’s cold hardiness? He is missing a lot of feathers from fighting, but once they grow back, will he be warm enough?

We are currently keeping our chickens inside. He is in a kennel, separate from my two hens. He is very skittish. It might be hard to tell in the pictures, but he is grey with some light brown mixed in, especially on his wings.

Thank you! :)

B7DE4EB3-6880-490C-8EB1-EEB92B8BAB30.jpeg

AEA4E4E9-BFB6-489F-BED7-4BE37D887528.jpeg

5E0817CE-9AC5-48AC-8CBC-C0F007AE14B9.jpeg

Crossbred for sure. Looks to be a bantam. I agree with above posters, frizzled birds aren't typically cold hardy. Also Frizzles are poor fliers, typically can barely get off the ground at all. If his wings are clipped the feathers will grow back in the next molt.

Back
Top Bottom