JelloDonut

Songster
Jan 31, 2018
Iowa, United States
I just came on to seek advice and vent. I got Hops, my banatm rooster, in October as a rescue. I do not know his history. He's probably young. A bit over a week ago, he started dragging a leg. I took him in to get x-rays, and there was no sign of any injury or cancer. The first couple days I noticed he could stand and hop around on one leg, then he became horribly wobbly and could barely stand. I took him in to an exotics vet who said it could be mareks or a slipped ligament from a nutritional deficiency as a chick. He was perscribed an NSAID for pain and immflamation. He would continue to occasionally stand, but be wobbly and fall. He was eating and drinking. Over this weekend, I was gone. when I got home, he can't stand anymore. I think his muscles have just atrophied so much he can't stand. Today he was looking extra droopy too. Barely eating, I couldn't get him to drink. If he doesn't pass away, his appointment is the 28th. I'm thinking its time to let him go and accept hes not going to get better. If he wasn't deteriorating, if it was just a ligament problem, he'd still be able to hop around of one leg like he did day one, right? It has to be something else that is affecting him and making him worse. But I can't also help to think I should make him a sling, try to get him to put weight on his leg again and build up that muscle, get him to hop around again. Maybe he's getting worse just because he's been laying down so much and that's just what's happening.. I just need advice. I also lost one of my hens today and I don't know why. It makes me worry about the other chickens. I've been so devastated, these birds are my babies.

I just came on to seek advice and vent. I got Hops, my banatm rooster, in October as a rescue. I do not know his history. He's probably young. A bit over a week ago, he started dragging a leg. I took him in to get x-rays, and there was no sign of any injury or cancer. The first couple days I noticed he could stand and hop around on one leg, then he became horribly wobbly and could barely stand. I took him in to an exotics vet who said it could be mareks or a slipped ligament from a nutritional deficiency as a chick. He was perscribed an NSAID for pain and immflamation. He would continue to occasionally stand, but be wobbly and fall. He was eating and drinking. Over this weekend, I was gone. when I got home, he can't stand anymore. I think his muscles have just atrophied so much he can't stand. Today he was looking extra droopy too. Barely eating, I couldn't get him to drink. If he doesn't pass away, his appointment is the 28th. I'm thinking its time to let him go and accept hes not going to get better. If he wasn't deteriorating, if it was just a ligament problem, he'd still be able to hop around of one leg like he did day one, right? It has to be something else that is affecting him and making him worse. But I can't also help to think I should make him a sling, try to get him to put weight on his leg again and build up that muscle, get him to hop around again. Maybe he's getting worse just because he's been laying down so much and that's just what's happening.. I just need advice. I also lost one of my hens today and I don't know why. It makes me worry about the other chickens. I've been so devastated, these birds are my babies.
I'm so sorry.
It sounds like he may have brought Marek's disease in to your flock.

Are you aware that you can send a dead bird to your state lab for a necropsy for fairly cheap?

I'm so sorry.
It sounds like he may have brought Marek's disease in to your flock.

Are you aware that you can send a dead bird to your state lab for a necropsy for fairly cheap?
Yeah, and I'm sure the local avian vet would do one for me as well, but the hen died very suddenly and looks outwardly totally normal. There's no signs of any illness, her feather follicles look fine, and the other chickens are okay. So it makes me think its unrelated but of course I can't be sure. I'd rather bury her in one piece if I can help it though.

Yeah, and I'm sure the local avian vet would do one for me as well, but the hen died very suddenly and looks outwardly totally normal. There's no signs of any illness, her feather follicles look fine, and the other chickens are okay. So it makes me think its unrelated but of course I can't be sure. I'd rather bury her in one piece if I can help it though.
State labs are usually much cheaper than avian vets for this kind of test.
If you have Merrick's disease in your flock they can drop dead for no outward noticable reason whatso ever.

A necropsy takes all the guessing out of the game.

State labs are usually much cheaper than avian vets for this kind of test.
If you have Merrick's disease in your flock they can drop dead for no outward noticable reason whatso ever.

A necropsy takes all the guessing out of the game.
But if the diagnosis is Marek's, there's nothing I can do for the rest of them, right?

Mareks can have some pretty variable symptoms depending on the particular strain. But there are also other things that can mimic the symptoms of Mareks. A necropsy is the best way to know for sure. Some strains are more virulent than others, some birds will survive some strains, but your flock will be considered carriers. There are many people who have Mareks in their flocks and continue to keep chickens. There is no treatment except supportive care, some birds survive, again depending on how virulent the strain the loss percentage can vary some. IF it turns out to be Mareks I would do some reading before making any major decisions about what to do going forward. When I had my first case I was heartbroken. I still keep chickens, I have losses, but it's been managable so far. I mostly hatch my own chicks from birds that are asymptomatic and have lived at least a year.

Mareks can have some pretty variable symptoms depending on the particular strain. But there are also other things that can mimic the symptoms of Mareks. A necropsy is the best way to know for sure. Some strains are more virulent than others, some birds will survive some strains, but your flock will be considered carriers. There are many people who have Mareks in their flocks and continue to keep chickens. There is no treatment except supportive care, some birds survive, again depending on how virulent the strain the loss percentage can vary some. IF it turns out to be Mareks I would do some reading before making any major decisions about what to do going forward. When I had my first case I was heartbroken. I still keep chickens, I have losses, but it's been managable so far. I mostly hatch my own chicks from birds that are asymptomatic and have lived at least a year.
I don't plan on moving any of my three left around at all, so if its mareks, it won't be spreading anywhere and I'll be extra careful with biosecurity. His next vet appointment is the 28th, and I think im gonna have to say goodbye to him. Am I making the right choice? He's not getting better. I can't get him to put weight on his good leg. When he tries to get up, he can't, he just pushes up on his hocks and that's how he moves. He won't get back up on his foot anymore. His muscle in that leg is very atrophied. I put him in a sling to try to get him to stand but he still won't put weight on it. I can't help but feel horrible. I left for the weekend and I'm trying not to feel guilty about it but I can't help but feel like I could have encouraged him to stand and use that muscle more and he wouldn't have gotten to this point if I'd stayed home. But there's also the possibility that it would have happened regardless. I just need reassurance that that's whats best for him and its not my fault, yknow?

It's really unlikely that this is anyones fault. Things happen, I have had birds in hospital crates for long periods that still didn't make it. Some things are just out of our hands. When you feel that he is suffering and there is little hope of recovery, then not letting them suffer is a kindness. Some people go to great lengths to treat and try to save a bird, some do not, neither of those things is wrong. Every situation is unique. I'm sorry you are having to face the decision, I'm sure you will make the right one for both of you. :hugs

Thank you <3 I've just gotten so attached to him after having him inside and caring for him for weeks now, but I think its for the best. If I keep him around, I don't think he'll walk again, he'll be laying down the rest of his life, and I don't want him to have to live like that.

Back
Top Bottom