Rooster comb and wattles overtaken by white growth, please help!

the above is a good suggestion. Im thinking it looks dead or damaged by the extensive frost bite. Hope you get it figured out soon.

It looks like a fungus (thrush?) but I'm shooting in the dark here. Years ago, my newborn baby got thrush in his mouth due to uncleanliness at the hospital (so I was told anyway). I had to put gentian violet on it. It must not be harmful (gentian violet) as I had to put it directly in his mouth. Contact a vet and ask if that will harm your boy. That being said, I'd probably TAKE him to the vets to be 100" sure. Best of luck!

Last edited:
Aw, poor boy! Everyone else has some good suggestions, I'm really not sure. The comb turns white when blood isn't flowing through it. Perhaps the entire comb is dead. When he heals, I'd dub him to eliminate the current and any future problems. Such a shame, he's very handsome, but a good deal of the comb looks dead, and it'd be better to lose his comb than his life if an infection sets in. You could dub him like and Old English so he still has part of his comb. The OE dub is a very pretty cut for a bird, at least I think so.

Try Miconazole ointment or cream from the vet or I imagine a farm supply will have it . There are human topical fungal(yeast products that are over the counter that could work as well ,. Lotrimin, desenex powder applied with finger tips rather than dusted- I have dusted my African grey in the past who has a small patch of feathers that he plucks .No problems resulted and he seemed to be relieved. I now shower him twice daily with a gentle Chlorahexadine surgical disinfectant added and that helps quite a bit. just a couple of drops to a quart . I had a feather plucker that was diagnosed wth a fungal infection after death so i decided to try this after my grey started a small amount of plucking and chewing. It has made a huge difference and there is almost no damaged area left . Fungal infections tend to be recurrent so it may need to be a life long maintenance treatment, Sugar is also key as mentioned previously. Many birds with GI yeast infections improve a lot when simple sugars are removed frm the diet . fruits included. Atkins diet for the roo.

The tips of my black sex links combs look like they're turning white....it's not cold out what could be the issue?

When I first got her a month ago

Now...

Hi Farrukh, Thanks for your advice. Could you plz explain the method to give Vitamin A injection to the rooster.Means should it me given with drinking water or IV?

My Sicilian Buttercup rooster also has something white crusty, lumpy looking on his side wattles. And my hen of the same breed also has it. None of my other chickens has this. When I looked at it the first thing I thought was some type of yeast. They are both hard to get close to to get a really good look because they're very quick.

Attachments

• 20170527_090250.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47

Back
Top Bottom