Rooster fighting

ColeTrain425

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2023
I need suggestions and help on what I need to do or not do
I raise silkies I wanted to add another roo to my flock of 8 young 2 month old hens and 4 grown hens and silkie rooster.
He didn’t like that very much and when he first notice the new Cochin bantam roo he initiated a fight
The were biting at each others neck and running underneath and on top of each other it never got bloody but
I went into the pen and I had a plastic tote lid an I bopped the silkie roo and he went on about his business and didn’t try fighting to Cochin roo anymore they even were in the coop/house together at some point I stayed around for about 30/35 minutes watching them and making sure they was done I was still outside but they couldn’t see me and they didn’t fight so what I’m wondering if the Cochin roo won dominance and got the silkie too to surrender dominance ?
Should I seperate them or let them solve it for themselves

I need suggestions and help on what I need to do or not do
I raise silkies I wanted to add another roo to my flock of 8 young 2 month old hens and 4 grown hens and silkie rooster.
He didn’t like that very much and when he first notice the new Cochin bantam roo he initiated a fight
The were biting at each others neck and running underneath and on top of each other it never got bloody but
I went into the pen and I had a plastic tote lid an I bopped the silkie roo and he went on about his business and didn’t try fighting to Cochin roo anymore they even were in the coop/house together at some point I stayed around for about 30/35 minutes watching them and making sure they was done I was still outside but they couldn’t see me and they didn’t fight so what I’m wondering if the Cochin roo won dominance and got the silkie too to surrender dominance ?
Should I seperate them or let them solve it for themselves
Since the Cochin seems to have dominance over the silkie, I would leave them to sort it out.
I have this kind of problem, except they didn't work it out so I have to separate one of them.

Since the Cochin seems to have dominance over the silkie, I would leave them to sort it out.
I have this kind of problem, except they didn't work it out so I have to separate one of them.
So you think it is safe to leave them together Introduced them around 7:45 eastern time it’s now 11:14 I stayed outside till about 8:00 eastern time and they had quit fighting I wouldn’t really consider it even a real bad fight there was just a lot of jumping running and neck biting but I had smack the silkie with a plastic tote lid (I know that sounds terrible) but that seem to get his attention he and the Cochin were still cautious of one another but I don’t recall them going after each other I just wanted to add a new roo bc I haven’t had a good hatched rate with several of my silkie eggs and I thought the Cochin an silkie cross was pretty

Is there a need to separate or should I leave them be ?
It's up to you and your comfort level.
I hatched some chicks and kept one of the cockerels last year because I liked his type better than his dad. They did find together for a while but eventually they decided to fight and it got bad. Decided to sell the cockerel since his dad's temperament was proven.
But I'm not breeding my chickens for anything. You may make a different decision based on your goals.
Is it relatively easy for you to separate them? It may not be a bad idea if you have the extra pen.

8 young 2 month old hens
Two roos for each 4 hens? That also doesn't sound right to me. I have 20 hens and 2 roos, so 1 roo per each 10 hens. The roosters will beat the hens up if he doesn't have enough of them.
Most websites recommend 1 roo per 10 hens. When I had too many roosters, the hens were mated with everywhere, literally every five seconds. They started losing feathers.

1 roo per each 10 hens. The roosters will beat the hens up if he doesn't have enough of them.
That's no guarantee.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

That's no guarantee.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.
True.
Again, nobody should take what I say as true.
I am still learning "The Way Of The Chicken."

Back
Top Bottom