Rooster flapping his wings

peafowl_Lover

Songster
Aug 22, 2023
Ireland
Hi I have a 6 month old rooster, his name is Pablo and he's a white leghorn, recently when he walks around he flaps his wings and makes a clapping noise with them

Why does he do it?
Thanks

If you have small children, I would keep them away from him. It is a sign of aggression. Is he giving you the stink eye? Does he crow excessively when you enter the coop? Does he jump up on things to make himself taller? These are all signs of aggression and he be be working up to an attack.

No he doesn't crow much, he's not giving me the stink eye he jumps up on to my shoulder and sits there happily. The only thing he does is chases me, if I run in their run he will chase after me and peck my boot but he's usually very sweet and let's me pick him up.

All of my cockerels and roosters do this, some more loudly than others. My Leghorn mixes are the loudest flappers and also crow the most, usually right afterwards. They are also the best behaved of all my boys so far.

Btw, I had a pet rooster as a kid that would chase me if I ran, do the herding dance, and peck at my shoes and ankles, too. Turns out he thought I was some kind of hen(s) haha, but aside from the occasional outlandish behavior he was never aggressive to me. He did attack others, however. I try to make it a rule to never trust a rooster too much, especially with other people, but it's easy to forget because they are so charming. Enjoy your boy, just be aware they can surprise you and try not to surprise him in turn. :)

At 6 months roosters can become a handful as their hormones kick in and they start trying to figure out what dangers they need to protect against.

The wing flapping thing is posturing or trying to get attention. It's not anything to worry about unless he's trying to beat you with his wings. That's called "flogging" and that's aggressive.

If they waggle their heads or do what I call the "death metal growl" (it's a croaky sound like "rrrrrrooooowrrr") he's expressing annoyance or he thinks there's danger.

Raised hackles is a direct challenge and a prelude to an attack.

You need to put a stop to the chasing and herding and pecking behavior. Some people favor some rather dramatic measures, I prefer something more subtle.

I'll stand my ground with my hands on my hips and shake my head (mimicking the "I'm annoyed" head shake). Sometimes the roo will try a "chest bump" to get you to move. Don't. If he starts to peck at you shoe give him a push with your foot to get him out of your personal space. Never bend down to to use your hand because that brings your eyes within beak range and roosters at this age have zero impulse control.

If you're walking and and he makes runs at you from behind, don't let him think he's making you run away. You never want poultry to get the idea they can push you around: they're absolutely ruthless bullies to any creatures they regard as weaklings.

The trick I go for is to establish that he can't push me around without escalating the aggression. If you get a hard peck, push him out of your personal space though. I'm more firm with those if I get nailed when I'm kneeling or bending over, as again I don't won't them getting pecky when my face is that much closer to them . I have rarely had to do that more than once.

Also, I really wouldn't ever let a chicken roost on my shoulder, especially if you have any earrings or other jewelry on your head or face. Chickens have poor impulse control with shiny things.

If he starts trying to spur you or jumps at your face, all bets are off and and you need to either cull or re-home him.

A male will flap his wings throughout the day randomly as a show of dominance. If he flaps his wings at you, then that means he is trying to show you how dominant he is and therefore that is a warning sign. My males will flap their wings and clap them together, and then crow immediately after, but they have never done that towards me.

Flogging is not when they are flapping at you. Flogging is when a male takes to the air and flies towards you, trying to spur you in the process.
I consider it flogging when they strike you with their wings. I didn’t realize it had to be an airborne attack to be considered flogging. I may have to look at the definition of it and see if I’ve been using the word wrong.

Back
Top Bottom