Rooster Flocks!

Pics
I agree. That made me sick to my stomach to read.

Yeah me too and I'm not sure I'd buy from them now, though I already have a hatchery I like anyway aha

Here is a photo of JimmyRoo ... err on his favourite chair watching tv :\
View attachment 1076128
Jimmy was the whitest of the bunch the rest had patches of brown on their feathers and I think the person that told me to drown them probably meant to cull them apparently its usual to send fillers when an order isn't very large. My order was for 18 chicks which got misrouted by the post office and arrived 2 days late, unfortunately I lost most of the fancies I had ordered and the fillers survived

Yeah but they could have just said that, I feel like drowning is so specific and someone might have actually listened :(

but aww sorry you lost so many of your order! 18 seems like a pretty big number, were they smaller breeds?

Sometimes my roosters get to watch TV too, lol.

I think JimmyRoo is a white Plymouth Rock, but if the other roos had brown patches they might have been red sex links.

I agree

I separated my 10 boys from the 10 girls about two weeks ago (7-8 weeks). The hens are super chilled and the boys spend all day watching them. Unless they are allowed out. I range the girls and then the boys (daily). What i have noticed this week is the boys mostly seem to want to dominate the girls even if they can't get to them.. is that normal? the photo is of my Marans boy going crazy at an Icelandic who was stock still frozen..the second girl was bobbing and pecking.. but she was frozen.. again, weird or normal - i've no idea her face got really red but when he left it went back to light pink.

Anyone know what is going on in the picture? I mean is Marans boy going to be an issue, or is it normal

Attachments

• pecking order.jpg
    pecking order.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I separated my 10 boys from the 10 girls about two weeks ago (7-8 weeks). The hens are super chilled and the boys spend all day watching them. Unless they are allowed out. I range the girls and then the boys (daily). What i have noticed this week is the boys mostly seem to want to dominate the girls even if they can't get to them.. is that normal? the photo is of my Marans boy going crazy at an Icelandic who was stock still frozen..the second girl was bobbing and pecking.. but she was frozen.. again, weird or normal - i've no idea her face got really red but when he left it went back to light pink.

Anyone know what is going on in the picture? I mean is Marans boy going to be an issue, or is it normal
If they can't harm each other, I don't see a problem.

My house flock is now up to 3 and they are so silly together, all good boys and no fighting, they tell eachother what's what with looks and are polite to eachother.

So I think that more people need to know about rooster flocks. I think a rooster flock is a good way to keep those "extra" roosters.....

All you need to do is make sure there aren't any bullies, and if there is you might want a bigger pen for them.

Here's a pic of my flock of 5 roosters
View attachment 557008

Okay but isn't it a waste of money on food and care? And a waste of space? Business wise..

I just hatched some chicks (actually the are almost 7 weeks old) and I got chicks in the mail 2.5 weeks before they hatched. I always get extra roosters so I can have my pick. I am setting up a rooster pen and I plan on using the ones that I don't breed for meat. Thanks for the post.

I have a handsome Barred Plymouth Rock rooster named Patrick, he's probably about 7 months old. I also have an older chick that I'm positive is a rooster. His name is Oliver, he's a "mutt." At first, people thought he was an Easter Egger, so I agreed. But now he's got the coloring, pattern, and hairdo of a Cream Brabanter, but he has muffs and a beard.

Those two get along pretty well. Patrick has never, but maybe once or twice, pecked at Oliver. Patrick usually acts as if he is Oliver's father. (Lol.) I plan on keeping them both, unless one or both of them become aggressive to me, my family, or each other.

Here's a picture of them both,
IMG_0134.JPG

Patrick. He's the first rooster we've ever had and we love him dearly.
IMG_0137.JPG

Oliver, he's the black and white chicken between the ducks and Gravy, our turkey. Oliver's pretty cool, and a little bit of a nuisance. ;)

Here's all the room they have, plus their big ol' coop!
IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

Yes, I know it's a hanging feeder, but I have nowhere to hang it. :lau
IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

I agree with you, @EggSighted4Life If roos choose to do so, they will attack each other. A bigger pen will change nothing if they are still in the same pen. It's common sense. My boys were introduced to each other only about a month ago, somehow they don't hate each other. *knocks on wood* Oh yeah, by the way, here's the coop,
IMG_0145.JPG

I would say it's pretty large. It was built by Amish men and women.

Back
Top Bottom