Rooster get attacked, eye haemorrhage.

GhettoRoo

Songster
5 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Hello.
So, very weird. 1 hour after I had closed all doors for freeranging, because everybody was roosting, I found my rooster outside, looks like he got in some fight. I have few more roosters, but others looks fine, but he looks like had got bitten few times. In photo u can see, un beard and and one triangle in comb is bitten off.Im thinking, could it be hawk or something?

He cant see thru this eye. Any suggestions?
If its just eye haemorrhage, so we just should wait to blood get absorbed.

You said you had several roosters. I personally think this is a case of roosters fighting. This incident appears almost certainly to NOT be a hawk. I had 2 roosters who lived together,and fought often, and one was missing 2 teeth off his comb by the time he died. The eye problem could easily have been caused by the claws, beak, or spurs of the rooster he was fighting with. I don't have any ideas about what to do with the eye--sorry!
hmm.png
Make sure he is isolated until any bleeding stops; hens love blood and will pick at his wounds. I hope he gets better :)

It is like more likely to be from other rooster, while I couldnt search any scratch on others.
There had one with bit cured blood on comb, I put him next to this rooster, and he still is lower in chiearchy, Im just thinking if he would get half blind during fight he would just give up. + comb biting mostly starts while roosters are both exhausted, and as he is with best 'cardio', and got biten several times, in comb in beard in eye I dont think its 100% some from my other roosters. +, Im always next when I let them free range, but not today, and always something bad happens then.
This roo is very dear to me, So im looking to care as best as I could now.

Im just thinking about possibility of hawk or some other bird, this looks like rooster fight, but im curious about could it be from some other predator..

Last edited:
If you take him to a vet, he could get the proper medication needed, such as steroid eye drops or antibiotic drops. If that isn't possible, then I would use vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store. Just guessing, but I think he may lose the sight in that eye. It looks like peck wounds from another rooster to me as well.

Last edited:
If you take him to a vet, he could get the proper medication needed, such as steroid eye drops or antibiotic drops. If that isn't possible, then I would use vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store. Just guessing, but I think he may lose the sight in that eye. It looks like peck wounds from another rooster to me as well.
Yes. It is from rooster fight. Noticed it after putting in him in flock, before lower ranked rooster wanted to climb higher.
For me its looks like he had pecked above eye, and blood just flowed down to eye.
I give him only now, day after eye drops.
''lose the sight in that eye'' This is worst what can happen, and im looking to do everything to fix that.
Rooster is only 1 year old, and after im gonna be done with chicken buisness, I want him to live forever there, as roosters live up to 10 years, so, I dont want him to be halfblinded.
He is such a tolerant rooster, he never starts fight, he dances around other roosters to show dominance.

Today, few hours after I drop in his eye ''Oculoheel''
His eye looks bit more clear from blood.

So, few days after his eye looks clean of blood, little bit black under eye pupil, and he had no sight with that eye..

Back
Top Bottom