Rooster get attacked, eye haemorrhage.

One of my young roosters was pecked in the eye by the dominant rooster, and I thought maybe he would be blind, but his eye healed and was okay.

But was he blind first days?
I couldn't tell the first day, since it was late and he went in to roost shortly afterward. His eye looked odd, like it was dislocated, but could have been the swelling above the eye. I checked a day later by putting my hand quickly towards his injured eye and could tell that he wasn't blind. Your roo will probably live okay being blind in just one eye. Chickens are very resilient. He may just need more protection than normal from predators while he's outside.

Some sight and no sight are two different things. How are you testing him to see if he can see out of that eye? The pupil doesn't look round that says that there might be a perforation of his eye which would deminish his vision. There is also the risk of an infection if there is a perforation. Antibiotic eye drops are definitely in order. Even what you can get at the local feed store would be better than nothing. Ointment applied three times a day at least and something like this can be very painful for the victim. I would definitely isolate him so he has a chance to heal.

The blood will reabsorb on it's own.

Watch him for discharge and swelling, redness, etc. If you notice it worsening, a trip to the vet would be in order. Roosters will be roosters and I've seen ours squabble and go feet first at one another's face. Your boy may have just lost this round to a better fighter.

microchick....retired optometric nurse

Some sight and no sight are two different things. How are you testing him to see if he can see out of that eye? The pupil doesn't look round that says that there might be a perforation of his eye which would deminish his vision. There is also the risk of an infection if there is a perforation. Antibiotic eye drops are definitely in order. Even what you can get at the local feed store would be better than nothing. Ointment applied three times a day at least and something like this can be very painful for the victim. I would definitely isolate him so he has a chance to heal.

The blood will reabsorb on it's own.

Watch him for discharge and swelling, redness, etc. If you notice it worsening, a trip to the vet would be in order. Roosters will be roosters and I've seen ours squabble and go feet first at one another's face. Your boy may have just lost this round to a better fighter.

microchick....retired optometric nurse
Thanks for your information.
Yes. He lost his fight. Nature is nature. I feel very sorry for him, cause he was the most tolerant rooster out there.
Im looking any way after the 'rehabilation' will be done, try to put him back in my mixed flock with lot of birds, and few roosters, and try to like tie up other roosters legs to let him be the n1. :O

Treatment:
He lives in other coop, in a dark cage. I give him some drops. Which heals glaucoma. I should buy some ointment, today I guess is week around when injury happen. Im letting him out on few minutes few times a day, sometimes only 1-2 times.
He had 99% no vision, yesterday right after taking him out, I try to watch if he can or not with fast hand movement, and I thought he kind a respondend, but mostly he didnt see anything, mby first 5 secs something, I guess.
He need that eye, he is very scary without it, when other roosters steps to him to show dominance..

Last edited:
No, Please do not put glaucoma medication in his eye. If he has a penetrating wound you do not want to lower his eye pressure. You stand a risk of collapsing his eye then you are screwed.

Definitely find some antibiotic opthalmic ointment at your local feed store and use it at least several times a day. Even more often won't hurt him. If he has lost his vision, possible detachment of his retina from the injury, you do not want him to develope a secondary infection which would only compound his pain. Keeping him in a darkened environment is good, keepking him away from the other roosters good.

I wouldn't consider returning him to a flock with other roosters that are beating the crap out of him and blinding him. Speaking from experience, I just gave away 2 roosters because they pinned the alpha rooster in a corner, beat him up and left him with a permanent leg injury. IMHO if I were you I would be concentrating on seperating the aggressive roosters from him if you want him to thrive as the Alpha for your flock. If you know which rooster is being aggressive then remove him, but he will never be able to protect himself from aggressive behavior if the other roosters are attacking him with only one good eye.

If he is blinded in that eye you now have a little handicapped rooster. He will do fine with one eye as long as you do your best to keep him safe. Most of all he has to be protected from further attacks. He only has one good eye left.

Excellent advice from microchick. Because of the fighting within a flock with more than one rooster is why I will only keep one rooster to a group of hens. Less stress for the entire flock that way, and he has to be good to the hens.

Excellent advice from microchick. Because of the fighting within a flock with more than one rooster is why I will only keep one rooster to a group of hens. Less stress for the entire flock that way, and he has to be good to the hens.
Thank you. I've learned with our own flock that much depends on the individual personalities of the roosters and the number of roosters involved.

We have three roosters in our flock of 16 birds. The three that are left get along fairly well. The Alpha, a beautiful Welsummer boy (who incidentally was the one injured by the two that I just eliminated from the flock) will chest butt the other roosters if they try to mount a hen, mount her himself, but then doesn't mind if the rooster he has butted off her mates her. These three boys occasionally get miffed at one another, but the only thing we have seen is the Alpha rooster galloping after the rooster that has miffed him off. He will chase him around the pen a few times and by that time I think he's forgotten what the interloper has done to make him mad and everything goes back to normal.

Eliminating the problem roosters has lessened the stress in the flock a lot. And yes, it was a hard decision to make but I'm trying to be a responsible flock mistress which means sometimes I have to make difficult decisions.....like loading those two birds into a cage and driving them up the road to the neighbors knowing that one of them was sure to be butchered. Reminding myself that he was a biter and his buddy, a bully helped me realize that I had made the right decision.

So. Im still keeping him seperated in other place in dark cage, let him out daily for a few minute, im putting antibiotic opthalmic ointment on eye.

How long should I keep him more that way? Im looking to bring him back.
Seems like he does have some view with that eye, probably all very blurred, just something if you shake your hand in front of eye.
But he isnt looking for predators in sky with that eye, and not for food on ground..

I used to put Tobrex 3mg/g. active substance: tobramycinum, 3 mg/g.
Find out in home I have hydrocortisonum: Hydrocortisoni acetas

Tobrex review says its for infection prevention.

Hydro: restoration of corneal transparency and other info, there is google translate from my language: mby i should put it..

Therapeutic indications
- Allergic eye disorders (blepharitis, conjunctivitis, keratitis with conjunctivitis).
- Horoidīts.
- Sympathetic horoidīts.
- State after injury and inflammation postoperative prevention and treatment.
- Restoration of corneal transparency and neovascularization (a condition in which the retina start to grow into the newly formed blood vessels) to suppress after heal keratitis, chemical or thermal burns (after a full corneal epithelization).

Back
Top Bottom