Rooster getting picked on.

DaveK88

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
Killingly Ct.
We got a new rooster about 7 weeks ago. He is about 12 weeks old now and just as tall but not as filled out as our one year old hens. we have him in the run with the hens but in a seperate enclosure. They can interact with each other but they can't get to him. They get along fine as long as he is in his enclosure. As soon as I let him out they are all over him. When the free range he stays away from them but if he gets too close they will chase him. He has only been in the run with them for about a week but I'm just curious how long will it take for them to accept him?

Each flock has its own dynamics and each chicken has its own personality, but what you are describing is pretty normal.

At 12 weeks, they may not even recognize him as male but are just doing the normal pick on an immature chicken thing. More mature chickens outrank less mature chickens in the pecking order and tend to reinforce that position like you describe.

But it is extremely common for older hens to pick on a younger rooster. They can really be brutes about it. Older hens expect a rooster to find them nice food, dance before trying to mate, watch for predators, break up fights, and keep peace in the flock. Young roosters don't know how to do that, so the older hens do not respect him at all. Besides, he needs to mature enough to WOW them with his brilliant and magnificent personality for them to obey him. It's not just a matter of size but much more of personality.

I've had a 15 week old rooster that the older hens accepted. That is extremely rare. I currently have an 8 month old that the younger hens accept but the older hens regularly kick his butt. I guess it is easier to impress young girls than a mature hen that can see beyond his surface beauty.

I can't tell you when the hens will accept him for mating and as the flockmaster. Probably still several months away. Once they get used to his presence, they may tolerate him and quit chasing him unless he invades their personal space or starts to mess with them. He'll probably hang on the outskirts of the flock for quite some time yet.

There is nothing unusual or cruel in what you are seeing. It's just chickens being chickens.

I got a new rooster today and put him in the pen with my 2 hens and my 2 hens go crazy on him and attack and pull feathers out,peck him hard and just fight him and the rooster just runs away from them and stays away from them.........why are they doing it?

Back
Top Bottom