Rooster had massive eye infection, it’s gone but now seems to have respiratory infection? Dont know if it’s related.

sylvi

Hatching
Jul 5, 2022
I put vetericyn eye gel on his eye infection (it was both eyes, they were leaking and closed for a long while. They were just massive bulges.) It cleared up, I put him back outside and he was doing fine. Thing is, I just gave my whole flock denagard because quite a few of them were sick so I wanted to treat everybody just in case. I did it for four days. But two days afterwards my rooster is suddenly ill again. I put him in my room with a humidifier and open window hoping it’ll be better airflow. He’s sleeping and has a hard time opening his eyes, but can still open them. He can stand but if you place him down you have to keep your hands around him until you know he can keep his balance, and you might have to lift his foot so he stops curling it and stands properly. He’s nasally, too. No access to vet and only have 40 dollars. The medications I have are corid, denagard, and amoxicillin.

P.S. I don’t know if the eye infection is related to this since I didn’t see signs of a respiratory infection during his eye infection. Maybe it’s just a coincidence.

Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of your rooster and his eyes?
Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed, including treats?
How old is he?

The eyes initially cleared up on their own or did you need to press out/remove pus?
Is there a bad odor?

Since his eyes are swollen, he may not be eating/drinking well. Dehydration can cause them to be weak. Since you have him separated out, try syringing or tubing fluids into him or hold a cup of water to his beak and let him drink. Once he's hydrated, then try to get some food into him.

Look forward to your photos and more info.

Welcome To BYC

Can you please post photos of your rooster and his eyes?
Where are you located in the world?
What do you feed, including treats?
How old is he?

The eyes initially cleared up on their own or did you need to press out/remove pus?
Is there a bad odor?

Since his eyes are swollen, he may not be eating/drinking well. Dehydration can cause them to be weak. Since you have him separated out, try syringing or tubing fluids into him or hold a cup of water to his beak and let him drink. Once he's hydrated, then try to get some food into him.

Look forward to your photos and more info.
Apologies for lateness. It seems his eye infection is related since it does seem a little swollen and there was goopy clear stuff (with some cloudiness) coming out of his right eye, unfortunately I wiped it off on accident before taking the photos. First two photos are what he looked like before on May 28th. Last two are what he looks like now, taken this morning July 6th (he has scabs from another rooster. It happened awhile ago though and he’s doing fine in that regard :). And has some yellow stuff on his beak from scrambled eggs lol).

I feed them layer pellets and spare veggies and fruits (mostly tomatoes and peas), also eggs here and there. I know they catch bugs sometimes too. He’s about 1 1/2 years old. I’m in north Texas. He can drink and eat fine on his own, but sometimes needs me to make sound so he realizes it’s there. I never really needed to squeeze any pus out, just wipe some off for the first few days. No odor then and now. I mostly only put eye ointment on (which I’m doing now) for him to start doing better. I guess I never really discovered the root cause.

Attachments

• 55F8D7B4-B9BD-439C-9D35-2990972FA1B8.jpeg
    55F8D7B4-B9BD-439C-9D35-2990972FA1B8.jpeg
    521.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 29323B80-A830-490F-B638-8305549EE54E.jpeg
    29323B80-A830-490F-B638-8305549EE54E.jpeg
    604.4 KB · Views: 3
  • C8CAC24E-6A4D-45E6-9841-8C68FB77385A.jpeg
    C8CAC24E-6A4D-45E6-9841-8C68FB77385A.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DEDDE460-6CA8-4112-8FD8-D4E173506837.jpeg
    DEDDE460-6CA8-4112-8FD8-D4E173506837.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 4
Sylvi- keep administering the denagard (that medicine works wonders on respiratory). Unfortunately the "eye infection" is probably just part of an upper respiratory infection, as a chicken's sinuses actually go around the eyes, hence the swelling when they do have a respiratory infection. Something to look into also is mycoplasmosa infections, as those can cause similar symptoms. Unfortunately there is nothing to treat mycoplasmosa if that is what it is, but the denegard should help clear up the respiratory end of things. Good luck.

Sylvi- keep administering the denagard (that medicine works wonders on respiratory). Unfortunately the "eye infection" is probably just part of an upper respiratory infection, as a chicken's sinuses actually go around the eyes, hence the swelling when they do have a respiratory infection. Something to look into also is mycoplasmosa infections, as those can cause similar symptoms. Unfortunately there is nothing to treat mycoplasmosa if that is what it is, but the denegard should help clear up the respiratory end of things. Good luck.
Denagard only treats MG in poultry.

I'd flush the eye with saline, push out the pus, then apply an eye ointment in the eye.

Does the Denagard seem to help his symptoms? If not, then I'd try Tylan.
I have an update. So denagard didn’t seem to be doing anything. He’s a little worse, even. His only side effects of whatever this is are wheezing and weakness (his eye infection is cleared it seems). I’m just wondering if you would still recommend tylan? What’s it for?

I have an update. So denagard didn’t seem to be doing anything. He’s a little worse, even. His only side effects of whatever this is are wheezing and weakness (his eye infection is cleared it seems). I’m just wondering if you would still recommend tylan? What’s it for?
Was he drinking the Denagard really well?

Eyes are open and clear and he can see?
I'd check to make sure his crop is emptying, focus on hydration and him eating his normal feed. A little egg, meat or fish for extra protein. Vitamins a couple of times a week.
Keep him free of lice/mites, see that his crop is emptying overnight. Consider getting a fecal float to see if he needs to be dewormed.

Tylan may help if it's MG, but if he drank the Denagard, then another antibiotic may not help. You can try it and see.

Was he drinking the Denagard really well?

Eyes are open and clear and he can see?
I'd check to make sure his crop is emptying, focus on hydration and him eating his normal feed. A little egg, meat or fish for extra protein. Vitamins a couple of times a week.
Keep him free of lice/mites, see that his crop is emptying overnight. Consider getting a fecal float to see if he needs to be dewormed.

Tylan may help if it's MG, but if he drank the Denagard, then another antibiotic may not help. You can try it and see.
Apologies for lateness. It seems his eye infection is related since it does seem a little swollen and there was goopy clear stuff (with some cloudiness) coming out of his right eye, unfortunately I wiped it off on accident before taking the photos. First two photos are what he looked like before on May 28th. Last two are what he looks like now, taken this morning July 6th (he has scabs from another rooster. It happened awhile ago though and he’s doing fine in that regard :). And has some yellow stuff on his beak from scrambled eggs lol).

I feed them layer pellets and spare veggies and fruits (mostly tomatoes and peas), also eggs here and there. I know they catch bugs sometimes too. He’s about 1 1/2 years old. I’m in north Texas. He can drink and eat fine on his own, but sometimes needs me to make sound so he realizes it’s there. I never really needed to squeeze any pus out, just wipe some off for the first few days. No odor then and now. I mostly only put eye ointment on (which I’m doing now) for him to start doing better. I guess I never really discovered the root cause.
Poor baby! Do you have eucalyptus or peppermint essential oil? If you put it on the bedding around him, it will help him breathe.

Back
Top Bottom