Rooster has black smudges on cone and face

3eggeaters

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
central washington state
My 6 month old rooster has developed what look like large black smudges on his face and comb. It isn't dirt or anything that I can wipe off. He has had a nice bright red head until about the last 3 or 4 days. Any ideas what this might be and if I should do anything about it?
Thank you.

98958_dscn0530.jpg

Last edited:
Just read up on pox. That may indeed be it but the spots don't seem to be "scabby" in nature...??? Also wondered if it could be caused by some sort of mite.
sad.png

Either way I need to dust my entire flock, I suppose, since I haven't done that yet.

The fowlpox deal doesn't sound too pleasant so I'm hoping that's not it.
Thanks again for the info!!!

Would you recommend this treatment?

"There is no absolute known treatment for fowl pox. To prevent secondary
infection treat the bird with 1 tablespoon of powdered Terramycin per gallon of drinking water or 300 mg
of oxytetracycline (Terramycin) per gallon of water for 3 days. To help the birds stay comfortable during
this trauma mix 1 cup of Vaseline with 2 teaspoons of Sulfur Powder (may be purchased at a plant
nursery). The sulfur is to repel the mites, flies and mosquitoes. The Vaseline will help keep the scabs soft
so you can gently remove them from the eyelids and around the mouth so the birds can see to eat and drink."

Taken from www.apa-abayouthprogramsite.org

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the advice!! My first time on the forum and glad I came!

Now, any idea how to spread Vaseline on the face of a skittish rooster that I can hardly even catch!? LOL
hmm.png

Haha, Grab him from behind or corner him. Then have someone else hold his wings close to his body while you spread the vaseline.
lol.png
Trust me, I've had my share of skidish roo's

Back
Top Bottom