Rooster has lump on bottom of foot

hazelville

Chirping
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Portland NW
There's a little bump on their feet like in the palm area that is 4 times larger on one foot than the other. He is visibly limping and favoring it.
Does anyone know if this is something common?

Looks like you've got a case of bumblefoot! There are several options for treating it. Many people go the surgical route: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to

Some people inject 1/2 cc of penicillin into the swollen area
I like to first try spraying the swollen area several times per day with Vetericyn wound and infection care and see if that works. If it doesn't surgery is probably the best way to go. An important note on surgery, make sure afterwards that the wound is kept VERY clean. Secondary infections can develop that are worse than the initial bumblefoot.
Hope your roo is back to normal soon! :)

Looks like one of my rescues has this. It is huge. Easily a half inch thick and covers the entire bottom of her foot. Has the black part like a build up of dirt and poop from the coop she was in. And of course she limps but I thought that was because she lost her middle toe. But it didn't look right to me. I'm guessing I'll need to soak her for a long time to soften it up.

As it turned out, she had bumble on both feet. Big areas on both feet. I'm not sure I got all that black stuff. And I wasn't sure what I was seeing if it was pus, dead flesh or healthy. So I packed each foot with antibacterial ointment, wrapped her feet and put her out. The bandage on the bottom had come off by morning so I re-soaked her in betadine and warm water, added more antibacterial ointment, and wrapped her up again. I put her in a crate with fresh shavings, fed/water and she's there now. Think I should get the penicillin today and give her a shot.
Q: Should she have 1/2 cc or less? She's about 10-12 pounds, I'm guessing. And, I would inject in her breast? I'm not comfortable putting it into the wound area.

Back
Top Bottom