rooster is too hard on new hen

bj taylor

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
North Central Texas
i'm having complete failure integrating her into flock because of the rooster. I had thought so highly of him, but he's so rough w/her, she fears for her life & runs as far away as she can.
the rooster is one year old. do they mellow or is this how it will be?

Did you add her in at night? I always slip my hens back in at night.

All my hens run from Jack the roo,but he is not super mean.Not missing feathers or any sort of damage,but at first glance I was thinking he WAS mean.It just looks bad,but turned out it was pretty normal.If he is hurting her can you put a saddle on her to protect her?

I got my roo when he was a year old.He does now what he did then(year ago).If there is no actual harm done then it would seem to be normal.

Only other thing I can think of is that maybe he targets that hen because she is easy to catch.Our roo will chase down whoever he can when the mood for sex strikes him. I don't think he targets one over another....just whoever is close by when the urge hits him.Sometimes he gets them and sometimes not,but he sure tries!

this lone hen is not even in the coop with them. she roosts on top of the brooder. I think i'm just going to let her be the loner she seems to want to be. she would rather hang out with the dogs and cats than the other chickens.
I've got a dozen chicks coming along too. when they get old enough to come outside who knows what the dynamics will be then.
I think i'm going to get the saddles for all five hens. I lost where to get them. i'm kinda worried they will be too hot in a hot climate.

Back
Top Bottom