Rooster looking for lost hen

Its Just Us Chickens

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Mississippi
I want to tell you about what my rooster did. He's a RIR, and I started out with him, and Clarabelle (RIR) and Helen (BR). They're the special chickens that we'll probably always keep as pets.

Yesterday a dog attacked my birds, knocking the door off the tractor that had babies in it and killed 3 of them. Also injured one of my young hens. (note to self: be extra careful to dog proof pens from now on) All the rest of the chickens ran and hid themselves away.
Dh and I head the commotion and came out and took care of the dog situation before it got any further. We walked around looking for chickens, making sure everyone was safe. But most of them we couldn't find. Rooster came out and walked around a bit, checking things out, then started calling the other chickens. Then they started coming out of hiding. We found everyone except Helen.

Later that day, I had to go somewhere, and on the way home, I saw my rooster walking down the road!
th.gif
He was a quarter of a mile from the house walking down the ditch line! I guess he recognized me, and took off running for the house.
The only thing I could figure is he had to be looking for Helen. There's someone down the road that has chickens. Not real sure who, but you can hear them every once in a while. I think he must have heard the chickens and went to see if that was her.
idunno.gif

Late that night, DH went out with a flashlight to see if he could find Helen. He found her in the shed. She wasn't where he could get to her easily, and she looked safe enough so he left her be. He woke me up this morning and he was standing there shaking his head. I thought, oooohhhh! This is gonna be bad new. He told me the the rooster was way up the road, and he had to chase him back to the house. Dh had just gotten out of bed and stepped out for a moment. He wasn't wearing anything except a pair of shorts and some house shoes. There he was chasing a rooster down the road. He said there's no telling what the neighbors think now. LOL

Dh thought the same thing I did, that the rooster was looking for Helen. SO when he got back home, he went and scared Helen out of her hiding spot and made her cluck, that way the rooster would hear her and know she's home.

Crazy birds.

Awwww bless his heart. Either he missed his hen or he was looking for that dang dog!

wow!

I want a rooster that will compliment my hens... I thought a bantam cochin would go nice.

I have 3 of each of the following
RIR
BR
wynedottes
americaunas

Back
Top Bottom