Rose, Lydwinne, Wilhelmina, Prudence
IMG_3964.jpeg

Winston Churchill
IMG_4402.jpeg

Stanislaw
IMG_3906.jpeg

Lily, Lucy
IMG_5277.jpeg

Except for the last three, they all live in an apartment building called the Muddy Run. The two white hens and the rooster live next door to each other in the Sentinel and Pawhut coops, respectively.
IMG_5093.jpeg

If you’re interested in the backstory on all this (which you’re probably not ;)), you can read here
Pets Past and Present - the Story of My Flock

Pets Past and Present - the Story of My Flock

Prologue When I was in my early teens, my family suddenly decided they wanted to get chickens. We had some extra lumber sitting unused in the garage so my father built a cute little chicken coop. It was the exact opposite of every article ever written about good chicken coops here on BYC -...
And here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-three-new-hens.1602920/
And here
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/roosters-in-the-woods.1602968/

This thread is a continuation of my article; I am going to try to update periodically as I navigate the new world of roosters, three hormonal ganders, and one stinker of a drake (he thinks he’s tough but he’s sadly mistaken!)

One of my New Year’s resolutions was to NOT get any more birds until 2025, if at all. That quickly changed when someone had two full grown hens available. My second rooster, Stan, has had to stay in a pen by himself because Winston hates him and all the hens follow Winston. So he didn’t have anyone, and when a friend told me they had two Naked Neck hens, I jumped at the chance even though I had vowed never to get such an outlandish looking bird.

That brings us up to date…now hopefully I remember to post in this thread so I don’t have to write such a long entry next time!

Eva has a new friend! It must be admitted she’s not thrilled…this puppy is energy itself and Eva’s going on five years old.
Anyway, come meet Annie Beth!
IMG_5978.jpeg

Despite having to share her room, Eva is real happy the weather has warmed up (for a few days, anyway). She got to go for a long walk yesterday and meet some sheep!
IMG_5689.jpeg

I recently built a run on the back of the Sentinel coop with Helen’s supervision:
IMG_5265.jpeg

I don’t have a picture of the finished product but will get one…
Stan and his girls get to free range today while Winston has to stay in the coop. They do not get along at all. Stan flew out of the open pen I’d made for him and the two boys promptly started fighting. I managed to separate them with the hose and get Stan back in the pen. I have had to spend the last few days just sitting outside so that I could catch Stan before he flew out of the pen again. He has mellowed out considerably since being allowed to move in with Lily and Lucy. While he’s still skittish of me, he no longer freaks out when I come near him. He is a good rooster.
I wish I could add more pictures but I need to delete some off my phone first!

Stan in the open air pen standing on his old house (the Pawhut coop)
IMG_5634.jpeg

Eva has a new friend! It must be admitted she’s not thrilled…this puppy is energy itself and Eva’s going on five years old.
View attachment 3744775
Despite having to share her room, Eva is real happy the weather has warmed up (for a few days, anyway). She got to go for a long walk yesterday and meet some sheep! View attachment 3744761
I recently built a run on the back of the Sentinel coop with Helen’s supervision:
View attachment 3744768
Stan and his girls get to free range today while Winston has to stay in the coop. They do not get along at all. Stan flew out of the open pen I’d made for him and the two boys promptly started fighting. I managed to separate them with the hose and get Stan back in the pen. I have had to spend the last few days just sitting outside so that I could catch Stan before he flew out of the pen again. He has mellowed out considerably since being allowed to move in with Lily and Lucy. While he’s still skittish of me, he no longer freaks out when I come near him. He is a good rooster.

View attachment 3744773

Wonderful photos, and your new pup is so cute!

View attachment 3744775
Despite having to share her room, Eva is real happy the weather has warmed up (for a few days, anyway). She got to go for a long walk yesterday and meet some sheep! View attachment 3744761
View attachment 3744768

View attachment 3744773
Gorgeous photos, your puppy is just over the top cute! :love

Eva and Annie both enjoy looking out the window…but Eva doesn’t like it when Annie wants to get on her chair!
IMG_5770.jpeg

The Biddies’ wattles and combs are becoming more red. We are anxiously looking forward to their first eggs but I know since they’re Orpingtons/Australorp it’ll be awhile yet. Vivienne and Dolores are 22 weeks today and Jenny is 27 weeks.
IMG_5730.jpeg

Both roosters are in jail because Winston is getting too full of himself and Stan thought he’d try mating the Biddies since the big girls hate him.
Rita has made a nest out in the leaves and her three boyfriends guard her assiduously. My (teenage) sister went out to say hello and George charged her and actually knocked her down. Rita isn’t even laying eggs yet so I hope she’s not thinking about going broody!

Jenny made headlines today…she laid her first egg!!! :wee
It’s the cutest, most perfect little egg:
IMG_5804.jpeg

For a comparison, here it is next to Minna’s egg:
IMG_5806.jpeg

Jenny is quite proud of herself! She is approximately twenty-seven weeks old.
IMG_5822.jpeg

Also, Rita is starting to prepare a nest (she has not laid any eggs yet though) and Frank is now her official boyfriend.
IMG_5838.jpeg

Matt and George have had to move into the old turkey coop because they were trying to tear Frank to pieces. Frank is very protective of Rita and it is impossible to herd them in anymore - you cannot get anywhere close to them! Thankfully they both know how to come when called.

The turkeys both think that Eva and I are Toms; it’s very annoying!

We had two big Cooper’s Hawks on the prowl today. The Biddies sheltered themselves in some thorn bushes and Winston guided the Hens under a large bush. I was out there too and made sure the hawks didn’t get any dinner. It will be snowing tomorrow so everyone will be safely inside and hopefully the hawks will move on.

Here’s a few more pictures :):

Babysitting Annie Beth
IMG_5802.jpeg

Dolores
IMG_5827.jpeg

Vivienne
IMG_5828.jpeg

Winston and the Hens
IMG_5835.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom