The Three New Hens

Evadig

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2023
East Coast and LA
On Monday I was bored in the middle of the night so I ordered chickens. One was shipped from Illinois and arrived Wednesday; she is a Jubilee Orpington est. 10 weeks old:
IMG_3729.jpeg
Prudence checking out her new friend:
IMG_3633.jpeg

I went to a local farm to pick up the other two chicks this afternoon. They are a Buff Orpington and an Australorp est. 5 weeks:
IMG_3723.jpeg

At first Miss Jubilee (that’s what we call her till we find a good name for her) did not care for the newcomers; she pecked them roundly several times. Her bad temper, though, was mostly caused by the fact she was out of food. By the end of the day she had become quite at home with them. When it became dark I lifted them all up onto the perch. The little ones sat cheeping for a minute and then attempted to cuddle under Miss Jubilee’s wings. This greatly surprised that good pullet, who is still a baby herself, and she nearly fell off the perch. Since they persisted in adopting her for their surrogate mother, I put all of them in the nesting box where they cuddled up together happily.
IMG_3746.jpeg

Last edited:
On Monday I was bored in the middle of the night so I ordered chickens. One was shipped from Illinois and arrived Wednesday; she is a Jubilee Orpington est. 10 weeks old: View attachment 3670449Prudence checking out her new friend:
View attachment 3670450
I went to a local farm to pick up the other two chicks this afternoon. They are a Buff Orpington and an Australorp est. 5 weeks:
View attachment 3670451
At first Miss Jubilee (that’s what we call her till we find a good name for her) did not care for the newcomers; she pecked them roundly several times. Her bad temper, though, was mostly caused by the fact she was out of food. By the end of the day she had become quite at home with them. When it became dark I lifted them all up onto the perch. The little ones sat cheeping for a minute and then attempted to cuddle under Miss Jubilee’s wings. This greatly surprised that good pullet, who is still a baby herself, and she nearly fell off the perch. Since they persisted in adopting her for their surrogate mother, I put all of them in the nesting box where they cuddled up together happily.
View attachment 3670452
What pretty chicks. :love

The pullets have learned to roost, but the biddies still want to get under Jenny. She has a lot more patience than I have, but finally got a bit tired of them climbing on her and administered a couple light pecks. Nonetheless, it’s so cute to see them cuddling together!

Attachments

• IMG_3823.jpeg
    IMG_3823.jpeg
    476.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3826.jpeg
    IMG_3826.jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 6
The pullets have learned to roost, but the biddies still want to get under Jenny. She has a lot more patience than I have, but finally got a bit tired of them climbing on her and administered a couple light pecks. Nonetheless, it’s so cute to see them cuddling together!
This is so sweet. :love

Back
Top Bottom