Chicken sadness and crying?

Jun 8, 2021
Hi all -

So, I added three new chickens to my flock back in March, a blue Australorp ("Blue"), a cream legbar ("Ann"), and a black Australorp ("Sprout"). Sprout became the leader of this group, so much so, I've been worried she is a rooster. Due to the unpredictable weather, and the fact that I wanted to expand our current chicken run, I kept these three ladies inside a very large tent in the living room until today.

Today, at 14 weeks old, these three pullets joined our three buffs and are sleeping outside in the coop for the first time. The chicks have been outside many times and have spent some time with the other hens in our run prior to today. So far, no major problems. Just regular pecking order stuff. As it was getting dark, I was waiting to see if my three new pullets would go into the coop. They of course did not. I pushed them in, and Sprout kept trying to come over to me. She clearly was excited to see me and thought she was going back inside as we normally would do.

When the electronic Omelet door closed, Ann and Blue went and jumped on their perch. I put the perch that they've been using for the past month while they were inside into the coop to help ease the transition. Sprout, on the other hand, buried her head into pine shavings and sat under the perch. She was making a moaning, almost crying noise. The only way to describe the look on her face as well as her body language is sad and depressed. I picked her up for a few minutes to settle her down and placed her on the perch with her friends. She seemed a little better but continued to whine. I've bonded with all my chickens, and each one is very social and incredibly friendly. But I developed a special bond with Sprout over the last 3 months. I know chickens have emotions, but I never read about any of them crying like this. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this?

It was heartbreaking to say the least...

Not really on topic but my black astrolorp (Billie-Jean) also took lead of her group. I was worried she was a roo as well, but when she came to full maturity, she was top hen (even over the older group before her) & my roo's favorite lady.
20221104_155956.jpg

Not really on topic but my black astrolorp (Billie-Jean) also took lead of her group. I was worried she was a roo as well, but when she came to full maturity, she was top hen (even over the older group before her) & my roo's favorite lady.View attachment 3583614
That's good to know! Mine has fallen in the pecking order now they have integrated with our original three and her weakness is making the other two challenge her authority! Chickens are crazy!

Last edited:
Hi all -

So, I added three new chickens to my flock back in March, a blue Australorp ("Blue"), a cream legbar ("Ann"), and a black Australorp ("Sprout"). Sprout became the leader of this group, so much so, I've been worried she is a rooster. Due to the unpredictable weather, and the fact that I wanted to expand our current chicken run, I kept these three ladies inside a very large tent in the living room until today.

Today, at 14 weeks old, these three pullets joined our three buffs and are sleeping outside in the coop for the first time. The chicks have been outside many times and have spent some time with the other hens in our run prior to today. So far, no major problems. Just regular pecking order stuff. As it was getting dark, I was waiting to see if my three new pullets would go into the coop. They of course did not. I pushed them in, and Sprout kept trying to come over to me. She clearly was excited to see me and thought she was going back inside as we normally would do.

When the electronic Omelet door closed, Ann and Blue went and jumped on their perch. I put the perch that they've been using for the past month while they were inside into the coop to help ease the transition. Sprout, on the other hand, buried her head into pine shavings and sat under the perch. She was making a moaning, almost crying noise. The only way to describe the look on her face as well as her body language is sad and depressed. I picked her up for a few minutes to settle her down and placed her on the perch with her friends. She seemed a little better but continued to whine. I've bonded with all my chickens, and each one is very social and incredibly friendly. But I developed a special bond with Sprout over the last 3 months. I know chickens have emotions, but I never read about any of them crying like this. Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this?

It was heartbreaking to say the least...
Crying, no. Screaming, Bawking, squawking, scorched earth bitching on an epic level.... unfortunately... yes. Bridget is an inside chicken at night. She goes outside in the morning, comes in to lay an egg, leaves and occasionally comes in to cool off. But, come roost time, you WILL let her in to roost. She is 'special' and she insists her sovereignty be recognized.

We didn't even buy this chicken, she just showed up one day and paid rent.

She's antisocial, bossy, mean and she will not only peck you, she bites.

We're not pushovers, we put her in the coop several times. She will beat the crap out of every bird in there, including roosters. She goes absolutely scorched earth. Once loose from the coop, she beelines to the cat door. She comes inside, goes to the spot she previously commandeered and proceeds to scream at us for a bit. Then goes to bed quietly.

If she weren't the absolute best brooder hen ever, she'd be soup already. She absolutely loves being a mom. She raises great chicks. The whole farm gives her a wide berth when she has chics. She takes abandoned chicks. Almost makes it worth that attitude.

This is the one attacked by a hawk and the hawk had a bad day. She was pissed. Came back with a beak full of tail feathers and screamed bloody murder for 20-30 minutes while stomping, flinging and shredding those feathers.

She is absolute proof that chickens have emotions... the whole range and to extremes. She is the only chicken I've ever seen furrow her brow... and it's a bit frightening.

Crying, no. Screaming, Bawking, squawking, scorched earth bitching on an epic level.... unfortunately... yes. Bridget is an inside chicken at night. She goes outside in the morning, comes in to lay an egg, leaves and occasionally comes in to cool off. But, come roost time, you WILL let her in to roost. She is 'special' and she insists her sovereignty be recognized.

We're not pushovers, we put her in the coop several times. She will beat the crap out of every bird in there, including roosters. She goes absolutely scorched earth. Once loose from the coop, she beelines to the cat door. She comes inside, goes to the spot she previously commandeered and proceeds to scream at us for a bit. Then goes to bed quietly.

If she weren't the absolute best brooder hen ever, she'd be soup already. She absolutely loves being a mom. She raises great chicks. The whole farm gives her a wide berth when she has chics. She takes abandoned chicks. Almost makes it worth that attitude.

This is the one attacked by a hawk and the hawk had a bad day. She was pissed. Came back with a beak full of tail feathers and screamed bloody murder for 20-30 minutes while stomping, flinging and shredding those feathers.

She is absolute proof that chickens have emotions... the whole range and to extremes. She is the only chicken I've ever seen furrow her brow... and it's a bit frightening.

Sounds like a chicken I want to have a round my back yard!

Back
Top Bottom