The Ugly Chicken Emu

Boujee Beaks Hen Haven

In the Brooder
Dec 1, 2023
She was the UGLIEST little chick I had ever seen! I named her "Mini Cooper" & I had to cut her out of her egg because she couldn't get out by herself. She was SO TINY and practically naked. Her neck was so disproportionately long that I used to tell her that her father must have been an emu. šŸ˜„ She was neurologic and she barely grew for months. In the first picture, she's about a week old. I had to play Mama Hen and squeeze her in my hand. At 2 weeks of age, she was still so tiny that she could fit through the holes in chicken wire. She was about 4 months old in the second baby picture and still mostly fluff. Because of her lack of feathers, she had to live in the house for several months. She needed so much extra care that first year. She was unable to get on the perch by herself and would often fall off in the middle of the night. I wasn't sure she was going to make it, and if she did, how she'd turn out.

Now, she is a huge, full-feathered, brahma beauty that still insists on being carried to the perch, even though she is fully capable of getting up by herself.

Attachments

• 20220626_220651.jpg
    20220626_220651.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 36
  • FB_IMG_1709238297749.jpg
    FB_IMG_1709238297749.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240228_171704.jpg
    20240228_171704.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240228_171744.jpg
    20240228_171744.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 14
She was the UGLIEST little chick I had ever seen! I named her "Mini Cooper" & I had to cut her out of her egg because she couldn't get out by herself. She was SO TINY and practically naked. Her neck was so disproportionately long that I used to tell her that her father must have been an emu. šŸ˜„ She was neurologic and she barely grew for months. In the first picture, she's about a week old. I had to play Mama Hen and squeeze her in my hand. At 2 weeks of age, she was still so tiny that she could fit through the holes in chicken wire. She was about 4 months old in the second baby picture and still mostly fluff. Because of her lack of feathers, she had to live in the house for several months. She needed so much extra care that first year. She was unable to get on the perch by herself and would often fall off in the middle of the night. I wasn't sure she was going to make it, and if she did, how she'd turn out.

Now, she is a huge, full-feathered, brahma beauty that still insists on being carried to the perch, even though she is fully capable of getting up by herself.
so the opposite of a guinea, huh. those birds start out as tiny little chicken things, but naturally turn into prehistoric terrors. great birds, but it looks like I have a pet dinosaur:p

Sheā€™s so beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom