Is it Ridiculous to cry over a chicken?

One of my hens just passed away recently and when me and my family were deciding what to do with her remains I started crying. My Father said that I'm being ridiculous and that she's just a farm animal and she's not a pet. But she was a pet to me. I loved her and took care of her the same way I would a pet. I am I being ridiculous for crying over her death? Is it weird to think my chickens are my pets?
I’m so sorry about your baby. My duck passed away today as well I cried like a baby. I’ve been keeping chickens and ducks for 3 years and it hurts everytime. Your papa doesn’t understand and probably doesn’t see then anymore than just an item, which I’m so sorry about. People tend to de-personalize farm animals because they’re eaten. I hope you heal well from your baby’s passing I’m sure she was a very good hen and you loved her well sending you lots of love :hugs

Not everyone understands mourning over a pet that has feathers… and not fur, etc. The others have said it so well already. I’ve lost many feathered babies, and it hurts every single time. They’re ALL special. I’ve been especially heartbroken over a small group in particular. Those losses were the most heart-breaking for me, because I spent the most time raising them and letting their sweetness fill my heart. Many hugs from me and my flock. ❤️

Hello and Welcome to BYC. Glad to have you in this poultry lovers community. It was perfectly normal to cry over a beloved pet. I'm an old man now and am surrounded by pet chickens. Several roosters that I have given a forever home to. They are so nice to have around me while working outside and they don't chase cars or kids on bikes (most of the time). I had a pet red bantam rooster that did chase kids on bikes like a dog would once. Definitely a pet he was.

Back
Top Bottom