Rooster never crowed until chicks were born??

BubbaBubbles

Songster
May 14, 2023
Virginia
Hello, everyone. So, my 2 outdoor bantams, Truffles (hen) and Trifle (roo) were rescued. I've had these 2 for about 2-3 months now. They've been incredibly healthy since they were removed from their previous home and brought to mine. About a month after they settled in, Truffles laid her first eggs and within the last week, she hatched all 6. Now, her mate Trifle is a very good roo. He's very gentle and protective, and very affectionate with his lady. He's always been a silent fella but after the babies were born, he has suddenly begun crowing a little more often. We do have a neighbor that has her own flock and her rooster often crows at us and Trifle never responded to him until after the chicks were born. Is this a protective behavior now that he's a father? He and Truffles are still young and can no longer be classified as a pullet and a cockerel, as far as I'm aware. I know cockerels don't crow until fully mature, but even when he first matured he didn't make a peep. But suddenly having chicks to look after has him making noise more often. Especially when responding to the next-door rooster.

He also crowed at me today when I was feeding them but I assume that was him demanding me to hurry LOL. But is this considered normal?

Attachments

• 337409221_1130849874977192_1470270655495347589_n.jpg
    337409221_1130849874977192_1470270655495347589_n.jpg
    522.5 KB · Views: 38
He's always been a silent fella but after the babies were born, he has suddenly begun crowing a little more often. We do have a neighbor that has her own flock and her rooster often crows at us and Trifle never responded to him until after the chicks were born. Is this a protective behavior now that he's a father?
I think a combination of age and more to look after. Didn't have much need to crow when just watching one.

I think a combination of age and more to look after. Didn't have much need to crow when just watching one.
Thank you! Hah, it's not a complaint, either. I love hearing him crow in the mornings now. It's an oddly soothing noise. But as a second question, will his voice change as he ages? His crow is high and off-key compared to the neighbor's roo, who has a deeper, more melodic crow.

Thank you! Hah, it's not a complaint, either. I love hearing him crow in the mornings now. It's an oddly soothing noise. But as a second question, will his voice change as he ages? His crow is high and off-key compared to the neighbor's roo, who has a deeper, more melodic crow.
Yes and no. They are all distinct. One of mine always sounds like his battery is dying at the end of a crow.

Back
Top Bottom