Rooster on hen

jsz2009

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015
Pa
went outside tonight and noticed my silkie rooster sitting on my hen. He also lays on the other hens such as my leghorns. Any reason they do this?

Is he just sitting on top of her or is he breeding? Roosters breed by climbing onto the hens back and grabbing their neck feathers with their beak. Silkies sometimes aren't that good at balance and stay on longer than other breeds.

Best of luck!
smile.png

He's been on for a pretty long time. He hasn't moved either which is why it was confusing. Almost looks as though they're sleeping like that. Didn't even shake him when I walked up to make sure he was okay. I didn't know she was there until I got close enough.

went outside tonight and noticed my silkie rooster sitting on my hen. He also lays on the other hens such as my leghorns. Any reason they do this?

Sitting and laying how, exactly - the first thing that comes to mind is a rooster doing what roosters do, are you familiar with their mating behvaviors and is this different from that?

He stays on for hours which is why it's confusing to me. I always assumed the mating was a couple minutes.

Nope it actually looks like they just sleep like that. My chickens do have stranger personalities haha!

Back
Top Bottom