Rooster or Hen

Allore79

Chirping
Dec 31, 2015
I am not sure of the age of these chickens. According to what the farmer told me they are 12-14 weeks. Not sure if he really knows for sure.

do you know which ones are roosters? I know for sure of one third picture bottom left.

These are my first chickens so when people describe all this I do not see it. I do see the combs but the feathering is hard for me.

The bird on the far left is male. He's got the 'rooster' red shoulders, the bright red comb, the long, thin, pointed back feathers. Now, look at your chicks. If the comb matches in color (not shape, cause you have a few different comb-types), you have a boy. If the shade of red on the shoulders/wings matches, you have a boy. If any have the same shape feathers on the back, you have a boy.

Well that is disappointing. I have 14 chickens and at least half are roosters. I can't have that many roosters. I will try and look at feathers. I have been watching youtube videos trying to get help with looking at feathers. thank you.

At this age the back feathers are the easiest to spot male/female feathering.
Here are two pullets. Look closely at the shape of their back feathers. They are broad and rounded, like the feathers over the rest of their bodies.

This photo shows a black pullet up front, and a cockerel in the back. They are about 16 weeks old in this picture. Can you see the difference in the shapes of the feathers?

This is a 16 week old pullet. Her comb is just starting to pink up, and her back feathers are broad and rounded.

Adult red rooster. Now compare his feathering to the barred hens pictured with him.

Well that is disappointing. I have 14 chickens and at least half are roosters. I can't have that many roosters. I will try and look at feathers. I have been watching youtube videos trying to get help with looking at feathers. thank you.

You're welcome, and I'm sorry.:eek:(

Back
Top Bottom