Rooster or hen?

Jan 2, 2018
Florida
I have a bearded white silkie that is about 11 months old, and i still don’t know what it is!! I need to know bc i show chickens and i have to know if it is a roo or hen. I was supposed to have a trio and i know for sure that the other 2 are hens. He or she has some stringy tail feathers like the other roos but i know that hens can have that to, however he or she doesn’t have any streamers on the back of its crest? It is more active than the other 2. It doesn’t try to fight with the other roos either. So what is it!!!! I am hoping for a roo!! I will send pics

4653D580-D711-462E-9FE7-5F163178C74A.jpeg
4C898F0B-F756-49EE-A5D6-18BAF1866986.jpeg
35BE5D87-05B2-4BDD-B50B-28BEECDC50BA.jpeg
6FB2FCAE-6D7E-4B9E-A91F-27DC4E3315A7.jpeg
Here he or she is!!

Looks female!

The other roos don't even try to mount her?

At this age.. it wouldn't even be "streamers", my boys have very clear longer feathers back there that make it look sometimes like a funny mullet. :p

All my roosters have bigger combs than that... which I know can vary by line/strain... but I would say female. :pop

Good luck showing! :fl

Aww man thanks. I will wait a little longer to see if it crows. And nobody else mounts he or she either? And i was thinking about why the comb was so small! I will ask the breeder at my next show to see!
That is a normal size comb... for a female.

Crowing... Um, I have a 2 year old barred rock hen that lays eggs AND started crowing recently! :barnie

How long have you had her? That is FEMALE! :celebrate

It isn't just the comb... but also behavior... AND ear lobes AND crest shape... many clues ALL pointing to female. :D

Back
Top Bottom