Rooster or hen?

chickiemama27

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2017
We just hatched seven baby chicks. All are barnyard mixes. Trying to figure out who is a boy and who is a girl. This little one and a few others have fairly developed combs. Does that automatically make them a rooster at three weeks of age? Would love this groups wisdom!!

Attachments

• FB59728C-7B22-483E-AE0F-F89434384A1D.jpeg
    FB59728C-7B22-483E-AE0F-F89434384A1D.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 11
So the comb at that age isn’t an indicator?
It can be an indicator, but not a very good one. The comb at its age can mean its a cockerel, but its just not accurate at that age. Pullets can get big combs at an early age too. I would say if its comb starts reddening up by 6 weeks its a cockerel.

It can be an indicator, but not a very good one. The comb at its age can mean its a cockerel, but its just not accurate at that age. Pullets can get big combs at an early age too. I would say if its comb starts reddening up by 6 weeks its a cockerel.
Thank you everyone! Appreciate the feedback. I just want to be able to rehome any boys early. I have 5 roos and I absolutely can’t have another.

Two of the babies are constantly fighting with each other standing up tall and acting extremely assertive. Haven’t seen that in our previous chicks. Would 2 hens do behave like that?

Some boys will pop up a strong comb that young, but it's not 100% reliable.

In a barnyard mix you don't know what genes are in play so it's harder to tell. :)
Yes. It’s a little helpful that I know who mom and dad are. Dad is an Andalusian and EE mix. But has all the features and frame of an Andalusian (even his comb). Moms are a buff orpington, and polish and an olive egger. Hoping for hens 😬

Does that automatically make them a rooster at three weeks of age?
Not automatically. Them sparring doesn't either. Sexing chicks is as much art as science if not more. Experience can help. There are several different signs that a chick may be a boy or a girl. Some of those kick in around 5 weeks but I remember one that I thought was a girl until he was 4 months old. Occasionally I can tell at hatch that one is a boy, mainly by posture, body shape and sometimes attitude but that is not normal. It is generally harder for me to say that one is definitely a girl than to say one is definitely a boy but sometimes there is no doubt.

You can try posting photos at five weeks, we might be able to tell by then. I'd suggest two photos of each chick. One shot showing the head so we can see the comb and wattles. Size of the comb, the presence of wattles, and especially the color are clues. A bright red at that age is a strong indicator of a boy.

The second photo should show legs, posture, and profile. Heavy legs indicate a boy. A boy would have an upright posture. And just body shape can help. When they get older saddle and hackle feathers can help, boys' are sharp while girls' are rounded, but 5 weeks is too early for that.

As for attitude, the boys tend to be bold and brave. They come out in front to check you out while the girls tend to hang in the background. That's a danger to you. The boys appear friendly and have personality, you often fall in love with them. They are your favorites. It's a trap, don't fall for it.

Sometimes we can reach agreement even at 5 weeks that one chick is definitely of a certain sex. Sometimes even a month later we can't all agree. Like I said, more of an art than a science.

Not automatically. Them sparring doesn't either. Sexing chicks is as much art as science if not more. Experience can help. There are several different signs that a chick may be a boy or a girl. Some of those kick in around 5 weeks but I remember one that I thought was a girl until he was 4 months old. Occasionally I can tell at hatch that one is a boy, mainly by posture, body shape and sometimes attitude but that is not normal. It is generally harder for me to say that one is definitely a girl than to say one is definitely a boy but sometimes there is no doubt.

You can try posting photos at five weeks, we might be able to tell by then. I'd suggest two photos of each chick. One shot showing the head so we can see the comb and wattles. Size of the comb, the presence of wattles, and especially the color are clues. A bright red at that age is a strong indicator of a boy.

The second photo should show legs, posture, and profile. Heavy legs indicate a boy. A boy would have an upright posture. And just body shape can help. When they get older saddle and hackle feathers can help, boys' are sharp while girls' are rounded, but 5 weeks is too early for that.

As for attitude, the boys tend to be bold and brave. They come out in front to check you out while the girls tend to hang in the background. That's a danger to you. The boys appear friendly and have personality, you often fall in love with them. They are your favorites. It's a trap, don't fall for it.

Sometimes we can reach agreement even at 5 weeks that one chick is definitely of a certain sex. Sometimes even a month later we can't all agree. Like I said, more of an art than a science.
Thanks so much for taking the time to go into detail. We’ve been able to pick out our boys young pretty well, but missed a passive boy this last round, thinking he was a girl. Needless to say…Romeo and Juliet (the names we gave them), became Romeo and King Charles 😉

Back
Top Bottom