Rooster owners what's your ratio of fertile eggs you are getting?

CA Bean

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Central Coast -California
Just curious on how many fertile eggs are you getting roughly a day or couple days. Please include how many roos per laying gals you have too.
I have heard different opinions on how many roos to have per girls. Anywhere between 1 to 8 or 1 per 12 . Seems like mine is not doing his job very well in that dept. I have been using up my eggs and notice a whole doz not fertilized or 3 out of 12 fertilized..? I have 17 girls..I realize this is a lot per 1 rooster ( had more roos but they fought too much they are seperated) but I should get atleast 6 fertile out of doz eggs right? Or atleast 1/3 of my eggs be fertile is what I was thinking.

What happens when you have too many girls with a single roo is he spends all day chasing and not time mating. There is too much to keep track of and too many distractions. You need another roo or to weed down the hens for this poor fella. They're probably exhausting him.

If you still have trouble when you have less hens, you could try pulling him out for a few weeks by himself. This gives him time to pull himself together and relax. When he goes back in, he should do a much better job.

Some of my breeding pens have 4 hens per roo and others I use up to 10 hens per roo and have typically seen 100% fertility from this method. Although there are some roos who take quite an adjustment period until the fertile eggs start flowing.

Hmm interesting...well I had 3 roos in the pen but they were fighting over who was gonna be dominant so we got rid of the 2nd in rank but then 3rd in rank turned out fiestier. SO we have him seperated but maybe I will rotate him back in and remove the other guy for a while and just rotate?? for now? Is that a good idea?

I have 10 girls and 2 roos. I just hatched our eggs a few weeks ago. I was shocked that every egg hatched. I am not sure if the younger roo is even a factor at this point, but my old roo is the man. hehehe
The babies all looked like him.

Quote:
Wow your lucky they get along together. Are they freerange? My are not and I just didn't want them to beat eachother to death yk. My other roo was getting bloody so I seperated them.

I have 1 roo with 12 hens and roughly 96% fertility rate. Out of 40 eggs in the bator this time around, only 2 were definitely not fertile and a 3rd either wasn't fertile or didn't make it past the first few days.

2 Rock Roo's with 9 Rock Gals, plus another 13 Gals of several breeds... 2 OE Banty Roo's and 1 OE Gal, 1 Sebright Roo and 1 Sebright Gal, 3 Silkie Roos and 2 Gals (lost one
sad.png
)

ALL live in 1 Coop-- but some of the Banties "self segregate" due to the Rock Roo's aggressive mating! but none of the Roo's fight... but then again... Springs not here yet!

We have about 90% + fertility

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom