Rooster pulled skin off Pullets neck

MoffatChicken

Songster
9 Years
Jul 23, 2014
Hi, i have a 13 week old cockerel that last night attacked one of my 17 week old pullets. Her skin is torn from just below her mouth from side to side and the "flap" of skin is 1" deep. It look horrible! I have removed the Cockerel and put him with the older Hens (which he runs from) until I can cull him but I'm not sure what I should do about the injured pullet.

As soon as i removed the Cockerel the injured Pullet started eating and drinking like nothing had happened. I don't think she is in any pain (she is very casual about it) but I'm not sure how to keep an injury that big clean and long term will she be o.k. ? or is trying to keep her in good health a downhill fight ? I need to merge the two flocks but she is sure to be re-injured when she is put with the hens. Any suggestions or words of advice for a best course of action would be helpful :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Keep this pullet separate from the rest of the flock for a while, but within the flock so re introduction is easy. For now you can use some neosporin (without the pain killer) on the wound. But you might take some pics and post this in our emergency section for more help in case it gets infected...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck and I hope you can get her healed soon.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your pullet. X2 on post with pics in the Emergencies forum, TwoCrows gave you some good advice, you need to keep the pullet separate until she is healed up so the other birds don't make it worse. Chickens can recover from some pretty bad injuries so hopefully she will be fine long term.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. TwoCrows has given you some good advice and a good link. You might need to get some Blue Kote Wound Dressing (http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/blue_kote_wound_dressing.html) and spray some on the wound. It will aid healing, provide some additional protection, and discourage your other birds from pecking at the wounded area. I hope your pullet is well soon. Good luck.

Chickens often have great recuperative powers. If her wound doesn't get infected or full of maggots thanks to flies laying eggs in wounds, she should have an uneventful recovery.

Good, when the older hens get done with the roo, he may turn into a gentleman.

At my house, he would probably not have a chance to become a gentleman. Either he is one from the start or he goes into the stew pot for enchiladas or chicken and dumplings. I've had enough of bad-boy roosters over the years. There are so many nice ones available, the bad ones are not worth putting up with. About 5 yrs. ago I kept a bad boy as a breeder. His female chicks grew up to be nothing but trouble, eating eggs and the like. I've weeded out his genetics and stewed him after he almost took out my eye with a spur.

I've had some good roosters over the years, but I've also had enough aggressive ones that unless I want to hatch fertilized eggs (which hasn't been in a while), I'd rather not mess with any roosters. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters.

Back
Top Bottom