Rooster question

carajoden

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2016
Cortez, Colo
I'm sure this has been asked and answered a hundred times but I can't find it, ...I have six chicks the same age (5 weeks) and only one has a red comb. Do they mature at different times, or could I possibly have only one roo?

Depends greatly on breed. Some breeds grow their combs in very early, even the pullets. Most all of the Mediterranean class for instance.

Depends greatly on breed. Some breeds grow their combs in very early, even the pullets. Most all of the Mediterranean class for instance.
Yes, but pullets won't start to turn red in the comb until after 10 weeks old, regardless of breed. It's not the size of the comb, it's all about how pink that comb gets, and how early.

Yes, but pullets won't start to turn red in the comb until after 10 weeks old, regardless of breed. It's not the size of the comb, it's all about how pink that comb gets, and how early.
Not every breed. My cream legbars have the same color comb from an early age. The cockerels are just slightly larger combed as they develop. And years ago I raised white leghorns and they did the same thing.

So here is a question then: This one came to us as an "Australorp", feathers came in gold. Looks like a black sex-link, (which would make her a her.) However, she has had a red comb from about 4 weeks, now has a red face, including ears and wattles. She is 10 weeks now. What do you guys think? Pullet Black Sex-link? Or Cockerel something else? If you think Cockerel what kind?

Ok,here's a question.

So here is a question then: This one came to us as an "Australorp", feathers came in gold. Looks like a black sex-link, (which would make her a her.) However, she has had a red comb from about 4 weeks, now has a red face, including ears and wattles. She is 10 weeks now. What do you guys think? Pullet Black Sex-link? Or Cockerel something else? If you think Cockerel what kind? Ok,here's a question.
Pullet BSL

Back
Top Bottom