Rooster Reserve Corps

I think the whole idea is sort of impractical. Game roosters will fight one another. Do you really want to put each one in a separate pen, then have to feed, water, and clean each pen on a regular schedule , on a "just in case" basis? What will you do with the cross bred offspring who will also fight one another? You'll look like you are running a gamefowl farm. That is a lot of work, why don't you get yourself a livestock guardian instead. Expecting a rooster to deal with predator issues, especially coyote, is like bringing a slingshot to a gunfight.

I'm not running a gamefowl farm. I can prevent offspring by taking away the eggs. Is it more work to maintain 3 or 4 extra pens, than to get a livestock guardian? I don't have any experience with livestock guardians, but if there are any that will do well in a suburban backyard I will consider that option.

To be perfectly clear, I do have electric fence around most of the yard, but it is not 100% perfect. Rooster is my backup plan. I am not just throwing chickens to the wolves.

Last edited:
The original inspiration for the plan was that I want to hatch more chicks next season, but I hate culling cockerels. I really don't enjoy dispatching them. So I thought if I pick a game breed, I can keep extra roos on reserve. With regular breeds, there is no reason to keep extra roos "just in case" because you have no idea if they'll be good protectors.

The original inspiration for the plan was that I want to hatch more chicks next season, but I hate culling cockerels. I really don't enjoy dispatching them. So I thought if I pick a game breed, I can keep extra roos on reserve. With regular breeds, there is no reason to keep extra roos "just in case" because you have no idea if they'll be good protectors.
Ahhh, there we go.
But do you just want to hatch in general or do you specifically want to hatch game birds?

Ahhh, there we go.
But do you just want to hatch in general or do you specifically want to hatch game birds?
Game birds are at the top of a list of breeds I am interested in. In my opinion, game roosters are the most "useful" for protection. I don't want to keep a bachelor coop full of maybe-maybe-not-useful roosters, even if bachelor coop is less work than separate pens.

Try a livestock guardian dog. Roosters simply are not appropriate or adequate predator protection. Remember, you posted this thread to run this idea by us, so please don't get overly offended by our honest opinions.

You are lucky to be able to keep a rooster in your suburban area. How close are your neighbors? Are they okay with multiple roosters crowing constantly? Will someone call the law on you if your cross bred offspring start fighting one another? Will you be the one who will ruin a good thing (roosters allowed in your locale) for everyone else around you?

I had game breeds in my latest batch of birds. Note I say had. I still have plenty of barred rocks, a couple asian blacks, and 2 big red mixed breeds. My young game cockrels fell to the predators.
did they fall to predators because they were too slow to run away, or did they fall because they were bravely trying to defend the flock? I think a rooster who gives up his life so the hens can flee is much better than a rooster who outruns the hens and saves himself first.
(NO, a rooster who dies trying to save his hens is NOT "disposable"... what a horrible word.)

did they fall to predators because they were too slow to run away, or did they fall because they were bravely trying to defend the flock? I think a rooster who gives up his life so the hens can flee is much better than a rooster who outruns the hens and saves himself first.
(NO, a rooster who dies trying to save his hens is NOT "disposable"... what a horrible word.)
Why do you want to pit your roosters against predators anyway? Is this your way of culling (ie:disposing of) those extra cockerels you want to hatch but can't bear to cull? Is that really an appropriate way forward?

Try a livestock guardian dog. Roosters simply are not appropriate or adequate predator protection. Remember, you posted this thread to run this idea by us, so please don't get overly offended by our honest opinions.

You are lucky to be able to keep a rooster in your suburban area. How close are your neighbors? Are they okay with multiple roosters crowing constantly? Will someone call the law on you if your cross bred offspring start fighting one another? Will you be the one who will ruin a good thing (roosters allowed in your locale) for everyone else around you?
Can you be more specific about "livestock guardian dog"? What breed? I have never had a dog before, only cats.

The neighbors are close enough to hear a rooster. I can hear their roosters too, but it does not bother me. Constant crowing constantly might annoy them, but I would not tolerate that in my own backyard so I would get rid of the roosters before it got to that point.

I already said I'm not breeding cross bred offspring or running a gamefowl farm.

I am not offended by honest opinions, but I am offended when people make negative assumptions about what I am trying to do.

Why do you want to pit your roosters against predators anyway? Is this your way of culling (ie:disposing of) those extra cockerels you want to hatch but can't bear to cull? Is that really an appropriate way forward?

Predators are a fact of life for free range chickens. Of course I do whatever I can to keep them safe, including electric fence and welded wire, but nothing is guaranteed.

I'm not throwing roosters into a pit with predators. Please stop implying that I am doing that when I am not.

Back
Top Bottom