Rooster trouble

Apatch

Chirping
Jul 4, 2020
Hi everyone! We have had our RIRs for a year on 7/1/2021. We were supposed to have 4 hens, but one ended up being a rooster. He started to get aggressive and attacking my husband and I, but he leaves us alone if we aren’t in his “area” or if we have a stick or the water hose with us. We lost one chicken so we are down to 2 hens and him. He has a “favorite” hen that we notice started getting a bare back, but then we noticed she wasn’t coming out of the coop to free range with the other chickens and she stopped laying. After looking her and the other hen over we noticed some very bad wounds under her wings and some minor wounds on the other. We have since separated them from the rooster and she is doing better and laying again, but isn’t healed completely. My husband doesn’t want to cull him and just wants to keep him separated until the hens heal completely and then use chicken saddles on the hens and then reunite them. Is this a realistic thing to do? Is it possible for him to calm down a bit? I know the ratio for hens to rooster is way off and we are not in a place to add a bunch of hens right now. Any advice? Thanks!

He is a sloppy mater and human aggressive. I would remove him from the flock. Cull does not necessarily mean kill. It means remove from the flock.
Try to rehome him but I would NOT put him back with your 2 hens. As you've learned, that is not enough for one cockerel/rooster.

He is a sloppy mater and human aggressive. I would remove him from the flock. Cull does not necessarily mean kill. It means remove from the flock.
Try to rehome him but I would NOT put him back with your 2 hens. As you've learned, that is not enough for one cockerel/rooster.
Thanks for the reply. I think you are right.

Back
Top Bottom