rooster troubles

what did I do

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Montana
We took a rooster to the fair. When we brought him back the other roosters, who need to be butchered, demoted him and almost killed him. I tried putting him in the coop with the older chickens but that didn't work. I have him separate now and it is like he has given up. I'm feeding him yogurt and water with a syringe but he wont eat on his own. What would you do. He won a grand champion.

I think we will butcher roosters tomorrow. If we butcher all the other roosters that are old enough, red combs and waddles, do you think he will bounce back? It has been a week since we got back.

I think I'd make sure the flock will accept the one that escapes the freezer first. A week or two, if needed, will hopefully not make the freezer bound ones too large or tough, but will leave you with a good roo.

I have way to many roosters, one of the side effects of hatching chicks. My husband doesn't like the barred rock chickens or any of the black ones - talk about being prejudice. I have a Trader Joe cockerel with the biggest comb but he is still very young. We will still have some barred rock cockerels that are a month younger but my husband doesn't want any roosters. He is afraid a rooster will attack us or the kids. We just don't think that he should die like this. We sold him in the 4-h sale and got $100 for him but the people gave him back. We just hate to see him go this way.

Last edited:
We don't have any actions around here except cattle at the stockyards and they don't sell chickens. I did advertise the other roosters that were hatch mates on the radio but didn't received any calls.

We dispatched 6 cockerels and took 2 out of the coop. It hasn't made any difference to him. It is nice to have the roost in the fridge getting ready for the canned. We still have 10 cockerels to go. They have to go but it makes me sad nevertheless.

Do you have a coop of younger birds?
I had this happen to a hen when she was damaged in mating and when I put her in the pen with the youngsters... She got her mojo back by bossing them around.. healthy and strong now with her new flock.

Patricia

Do you have a coop of younger birds?
I had this happen to a hen when she was damaged in mating and when I put her in the pen with the youngsters... She got her mojo back by bossing them around.. healthy and strong now with her new flock.

Patricia

I suppose I could put him into the so called coop with my month and a half old chicks. There is a rooster in there I might try to keep. He is a Trader Joe's leghorn with the biggest comb. I just started letting the little ones free range in the shed. My little ones are in a dog kennel in a big shed. It might be best if he was in there.

My old hens beat him up way to bad to be with them. I just brought back to life a hen that was mostly dead without a problem but this guy is different. It seems more mental than psychical. It is like he has just given up.

Off to move him.

Well???... did it help?????... has he perked up and started bullying the babies???.. let him if he isn't hurting anyone... once his confidence is back up.. you could try again or he could just have his place with the littles and become their protector!

Last edited:
Well???... did it help?????... has he perked up and started bullying the babies???.. let him if he isn't hurting anyone... once his confidence is back up.. you could try again or he could just have his place with the littles and become their protector!

It just seems like the poor guy has given up. We brought him home this morning and put him out in the garden. The kids said he ate something there but not much. We will put him with the little chickens for night if he makes it through today. The home garden is just beyond where the other chickens free range . I asked my husband to put him down this morning but he has another day to start to recover.

Back
Top Bottom