Rooster turned mean...

SillyBird

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2015
Nova Scotia
So my meat king pet, Kiwi, is about a year old and a few months ago he unfortunately became aggressive towards me despite formerly being a true dear bird who received alot of attention. I would like to know how long this aggression lasts...5 or 6 months as the internet states? or longer? forever? He lives with his meat king hen Coconut of the same age. So he tries to attack me every time I go into their coop and he is too big to 'pick up and carry around' as has been suggested on the internet...to show him 'who is boss'. I have ended up kindly inverting a laundry basket over him whenever I go into their coop, just long enough to put down the feed and water, then take the basket off and make a quick exit as he might either run for the food or go after me again, before I leave the coop. Please note the laundry basket is a light weight one with holes in it...if that sounds any more 'humane' and he is only under it for about a minute. The other option is to keep rolling him over gently with my foot as he goes after me which i don't like doing. He is making my life with my birds miserable. I am scared of him. I understand it is his hormones and he can't help it. I don't feel I can simply rehome him as who would want him...he may become abused...etc, and I am responsible for him as he and the hen were held back on processing day for a reason...because they were runts and I cared about them. But I can't spend any quality time with the hen, Coconut, who is a dear hen, so I'm wondering what I should do. I feel I might have to take him to someone who can end his life in a humane way and be done with it...but that is not an easy thought / out for me. We have just built a new coop which accomodates two laying hens on one side (who hate the meat kings) and then the meat kings on the other...so there is no room to divide it again and put the rooster 'monster' in another space you see. Anyway, thanks to anyone who is reading this and I would appreciate any ideas you may have.

Last edited:
Honestly, turn him into soup. He's not going to get better. It takes about a year for a rooster to really show his true temperament. That kind of aggression, for no reason what so ever, will not get better. He will get worse. And he is now a serious liability to rehome or keep.
In my opinion, there is no reason to put up with an aggressive rooster.

My last post on this: We took Kiwi to a lovely woman to be killed. She raises show birds and knows how to kill them also, but doesn't eat them. After he is killed and processed she will give him to her neighbour who will cook him up. I felt completely comfortable leaving him with her, knowing I made the right decision for the animal, and that she would kill him efficiently and kindly. He has had a good life, almost one full year. His mate, hen Coconut, seems to be doing just fine without him. It is a complete relief, to me, to be able to go to the chicken coop now and just enjoy my hens. The End. : )

Not sure if anyone will be reading this but have to say that no one appears to miss the rooster here. Coconut was such a mess, physically, from all his 'attention' but she's all cleaned up now, and she appears to be very happy, and has never looked better. I can spend time with her and it's very ZEN in the hen house. It's just Coconut on one side and the two laying hens on the other side of coop/yard, and she is not lonely at all. She gets plenty of attention from me and can see the others all the time. Thanks again for all your thoughts and if anyone is thinking about getting rid of a nasty rooster, just do it. You and your hens won't miss him when he's gone. : )

The mean ones always taste the best. And adult rooster, when cooked right, tastes just like beef. They are delicious. So much better than those 8 week old Cornish Cross from the grocery store. All you need is a crock pot, some fresh herbs, and a bottle of red wine.

Thank you for posting that. I have to get rid of a mean rooster but unlike you he was not a pet. I was just giving the roosters a chance to see if any could be kept and out of the three, this one has signed his own ticket out of here. Thank you for reporting how peaceful it is after...as so many others have. Mine is supposed to be gone by tomorrow, maybe today. Never thought I would feel this way but I can't wait.

Have one real bad rooster, I walk about with a stump for one leg thanks to a war long time ago and my good leg breaks out when I do too much . My Maran nailed me on my good leg one day and since then he has been getting more agressive. So for now he is in his own pen, mad! But alive and well. I am setting up a new pen for him and his 2 hens with drop doors for bad days. It works if you want it to get creative. My Jerseys are just gentlemen and could knock down a barn door but always behave good around. But have noticed that I watch everyone a little more closely since Jock made his move old Nam training I guess but roosters want to be boss and protect their flock part of the job.

This post reminded me of a childhood event. When I was about four years old, we lived across the road from a dear old widow lady (Mrs. Egleston) that maintained a small farm. She sold eggs and other things. It was one of my chores to go get eggs from her. She had a big, intimidating rooster that scared the grits out of me. One day, he came running at me so I picked up a rock and busted him. The rock only made him more angry and he attacked me, flogging and spurring me around my face. I went running home where my dad cleaned off the blood and calmed me down. The next day. Mrs. Egleston came over to check on me and brought me some delicious chicken (rooster) soup :)

Hi HelloChickies,

I hope your rooster doesn't turn mean, but remember that if he does, there are many methods to try before you have to 'do them in'. If you read through this thread, lots of folks have different ideas. : ) I see them online all the time for sale...so I think it happens more times than not...that they turn mean. It's just their way. I guess if you can live with it...great...but if they are truly making your life miserable and you are scared of them then that's no good either. Good luck! : )

Holy smokes...that's bad...you ended up in the ER an on antibiotics. Yikes. My rooster attacked with his beak mainly but one time he did appear to come at me with his feet first also. Gosh I was scared of him.
And yes...my hen does NOT miss him at all. She's so happy!!!!

Back
Top Bottom