Rooster won’t return to the coop at night!

finlay990

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
Hi all,

New member here!
We have two hens, a gorgeous New Hampshire and a lovely little leghorn. They’re the sweetest hens and always come home to their coop at night.
Now, about 2 months ago our neighbours rooster started visiting us, And of course, our hens and the rooster now adore each other. He’d come down everyday, eat breakfast with them in the morning, spend all day with them and then drop them off to their coop and return next door to the neighbours house for the night. A week ago whilst I was scrolling through our areas buy and sell pages, I came across our rooster friend! Of course, we said we’d take him as our hens love him and he’s fertilising our eggs. The reason the neighbours wanted to re home the rooster is because he sleeps under their house and won’t ever return to his coop at night. We left him in our coop for three days before letting them all out again, and he straight away that night returned back to the neighbours house and roosted under their house. We went and picked him up and bought him home again (this was last night). My question is, is there any way to teach him to sleep in our coop and not to sleep under the neighbours house?! He’s been in this habit for months of sleeping under their house. Is it even possible as he’s only re locating next door? They’re All free range on 10 acres during the day. Please help!!

Thanks!

I assume they all free range... do you have a run at all that you can confine the whole group to for a period of time?

Another option would be to try and lock him and the girls into the coop before sunset, so he can't go over to his old home.

I would keep him in the coop/run for a longer time. You can also try sprinkling some treats in the coop/run right before bed time so that everyone goes in and then you can shut the door.

Thanks fo
I assume they all free range... do you have a run at all that you can confine the whole group to for a period of time?

Another option would be to try and lock him and the girls into the coop before sunset, so he can't go over to his old home
Thanks for your reply! Yes they’re all free range on about 10 acres including our neighbours home. Their coop has a run on it so we’re going to try keeping them longer. Hopefully he will understand soon that it’s his new home... and good idea about trying to get them in before sunset. If he doesn’t return home when they’re let out again I will give that a go!

I would keep him in the coop/run for a longer time. You can also try sprinkling some treats in the coop/run right before bed time so that everyone goes in and then you can shut the door.
Thanks for your reply!
We will try and keep them in for longer this time. How long would you suggest?
Would it help to feed them all at night? That seems to be a motivator for why he’s always down here first thing in the morning waiting for breakfast. Maybe if we fed them at night he’d be inclined to be here at nighttime for food?

Might not have been long enough, especially considering he has access to his 'old place'.
Do they have other males?
He’s the only rooster on the property including the neighbours house. I think we will try leaving them in for longer. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for your reply!
We will try and keep them in for longer this time. How long would you suggest?
Would it help to feed them all at night? That seems to be a motivator for why he’s always down here first thing in the morning waiting for breakfast. Maybe if we fed them at night he’d be inclined to be here at nighttime for food?
You may just want to try the treats at night. But chickens should have feed available all day long.

lol chickens have uncanny memory .. doubt your going to break him .. i'd get a fresh one as a chick along with a couple of pullets and raise it .. the neighbor will likely 'take care' of the problem rooster for you eventually lol ... but who knows, you may actually teach him to stay put :D .. just being realistic .. it takes awhile to raise one up so wouldnt wait myself for the inevitable to play out ...

Back
Top Bottom