Rooster won't come out of the roost?

Gail in MN

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
I am new to chickens, and got a dozen easter eggers off Criag's List. They are now 13 weeks old (had them since they we a week old), and I'm pretty sure I have 6 hens and 6 roosters-a couple are questionable. There is one guy that just this week started not wanting to come down off the roost. Every morning I let them out to free range, and Sunday he never came out. I didn't know if I should force him to come down or not, so I left him, thinking he would eventually. Monday he came out, ate and drank, and straggled behind the flock most of the day, so I thought this was done. Well, he won't come out again today, and now I am getting concerned. Why would he do this? I wouldn't be so worried if he just hung around the coop instead of free ranging with the others, but he won't even come down off the roost--AT ALL! Should I force him? His health seems fine. His poop looks normal, he is moving fine. He just sits there, but will stand when I come to check on him. What should I do??? Here he is:

First off,
bun.gif
welcome-byc.gif
bun.gif
My only ideas are that you should check for injury, maybe another chicken is bullying him and he's scared to come down or some kind of predator is scaring him and he thinks he's safest on the roost. Good luck!
smile.png

I have not clue what could be wrong, but I would probably isolate him and feed yogurt and some water with garlic. Those things can't hurt, and might put a little pep in his step til someone else comes along and can help you. You might also want to put this in the emgergencies section.

Back
Top Bottom