Rooster won't mate with new hens

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
Hello. I have three groups of chickens. I have 9 that are a year old, 7 that are six months old and 8 that are just under five months old. Around a month ago I started letting all of the birds free range together. The rooster still sleeps in the old coop because it's really hard to get him to go in the new one(I'll make a different thread for that). But the three groups don't fight much at all... the occasional peck here and there. But the rooster has not even attempted to mate with any of the new hens and the three groups all tend to stick to themselves... Sometimes they will all move as one big flock but usually they stick to their age groups.

I am not sure what to think. I was under the impression the rooster would eventually unite the flocks after he began mating with the hens but he doesn't seem too interested in the two younger groups. All the chickens are nearly full sized except for maybe the smallest group.

Well any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.

Have the six or the five month olds started to lay yet? If not the rooster may well know they aren't ready yet. So he's sticking with the ones who are.

if i understand your post correctly, the rooster is with the 1 year olds and you have 9 of them...... that's all the guy can take, 1 rooster can't handle all them hens.... the poor guy is probably losing sleep just thinking about the next days demands.......... 24 hens, you need more roo's.......

Back
Top Bottom