Rooster Won't Stop Crowing!

chloemama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 18, 2010
Northern Rhode Island
Ok so I now a rooster crows, but honestly he doesn't stop!!
He starts around 5.15am and just keeps going and going, he is quiet for a few hours in the afternoon.
If I leave him in the coop area he crows, if I let him out he crows.

Any ideas- I won't kill him so anything besides that. He is a handsome Welsummer about 5 months old.

Thank you!

If you won't re-home him or send him to freezer camp then you are stuck with it. If he's young then maybe he'll mellow out over time and quiet down, but no guarantees. Doesn't keeping him in the coop make the noise less noticeable?

G.o.o.d. L.u.c.k.

My rooster crowed all the time. He was the most handsome thing ever, and very mannerly. But it drove me crazy and I'm sure it drove my neighbors crazy too, so I just had to say adios to him and give him to the feed store, who gave him to someone who was looking for a rooster.

I still miss him. But if you can't deal with the crowing, you can't deal with the crowing.

If it weren't for the neighbors, I wouldn't have minded so much. But my teens were also exasperated at him singing "good morning" to them under each window when they were still sleeping.

Hoping in my crew of new chicks there will be a less vocal rooster. I like having one around.

My young rooster crows constantly too. One time my dad heard someone screaming for help, so he ran out to the barn and looked everywhere. Then, he realized it was my cuckoo marans rooster learning how to crow. He has a very deep voice that sounds like a man is being strangled. It's terrible. I hope he figures it out soon. People might start thinking we've got some sort of torture chamber in our barn.
tongue.png

But, yes, he crows from sun up to sun down.
-em

I have 3, and at first, I thought they crowed so much because there were 3, but that's not the case.
big_smile.png
I had one roo......he crowed continually throughout the day. Then a baby grew to be a crower-then the 2 would crow throughout the day........then another one grew up and now we have 3 who crow throughout the day, even after bedtime. Those boys are silly, but I love 'em!!

My opinion is that if he's crowing constantly..........he will continue to do so. I don't think that there is anything that you can do naturally to make him stop. He's dominant (or wants to be) and that's that
wink.png

Sorry.

I have a tiny Serama that isn't very loud, but he sleeps in the dark shed until after 9am. This stops the early morning crowing pretty much and hopefully cuts down on neighborhood annoyance. I make him sleep in and extra hour on the weekends.

If you still have that rooster or if someone else finds this thread, I have somewhat solved the problem at least for middle of the night and early morning crowing. I made little hoods out of black socks, cut a small hole so their beak can stick thru (don't know if this is necessary but I know I would want one..) and put it over their head at night when I close them up. During the day they free-range and there's not much I can do about the crowing then. Some days are quieter than others. Hope this helps.

Ok so how do you get the little black hood on your rooster? It's worth a try! I have a beautiful black barred rock about 1 yr. old. He starts crowing nonstop between 4 and 4:30 almost every day until 6:30. He sleeps in a shed with 5 hens with the door closed to block out light. I wouldn't mind if he crowed once or twice but it is non stop (every minute or two). He sometimes does this until 10 or 11 a.m. I keep him in the shed until around 7, hoping to muffle the crowing a bit. I have tried letting him out earlier, same issue. Other than his crowing he's a sweet boy and the ladies love him.

I had to grab him up and hold him while I put the hood on. Since then I learned of another and actually simpler method. Put the rooster in a box at night, one that is small enough so it won't let him stretch out to crow. (Read this on an Aussie blog!) I find using a box that doesn't let light in works great. Just be sure he has air holes. :) My rooster was like yours, crowed too early, too long. Now it is quiet until I get up and let him out of the box. The rooster doesn't seem harmed by this and it's easier than catching him and putting the hood on. He does have a tendency to crow a lot when he is first let out but after a good night's sleep it doesn't bother me. IGood luck!

Back
Top Bottom