Rooster???

speas23

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Cottage Grove, OR.
I just want to verify this young-in is a rooster. It was a sexed chick with a 94% guarantee to be a hen. It does not have any pointy sickle or saddle feathers and it is almost 16 weeks old. Please help me determine if this is in fact a rooster and not just a crowing hen. Thank you!!

here is the video of the "crowing" ...

Last edited:
I am very co fuses on this one... It was sold to me as a Rhode Island White. It is by far the most dominant chicken we have (we have 5 and they are all the same age). It tends to be a bit aggressive at times with the others. It does have pointy-ish feathers on its neck. I have some friends who are convinced that it is a cockerel but again, missing the pointy feathers in the saddle & sickle area...

That was sort of a crow. Does look like a pullet, no saddle or sickle feathers. Does it have spurs? I know that doesn't always help cause I have some hens with small spurs. I'm guessing only time will tell for sure! Good luck

That was sort of a crow. Does look like a pullet, no saddle or sickle feathers. Does it have spurs? I know that doesn't always help cause I have some hens with small spurs. I'm guessing only time will tell for sure! Good luck

The small "nubs" -spurs - are Bigger than the other chickens... I really appreciate everyone's help thank you! Looks like we'll just have to love our JoJo until we know for sure!!

Couldn't get a good look at it in the video, and whilst it does look like a pullet, I would say that anything that crows at 16 weeks of age is a rooster. Spur size is not a reliable indicator at that age. Whilst some hens can crow, they only do it when they are a lot older than 16 weeks. I have a polish hen that started to crow when she was 1 year old.

Back
Top Bottom