Rooster's and "The Deed"

Me & My Peeps

Songster
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Western MA
O.k, I have been watching my Rooster "go at it" with his select girls. How long does "the deed" take? Sometime it's like watching a rodeo where she runs around trying to get him off! How do I know if I have fertilized eggs or not? Is it just a few seconds?

Quote:
Thanks, it's a tough question to ask - and still keep it family friendly!
wink.png

LOL - I have missed this website! I've been so busy with other stuff in the past couple of months and I haven't really haven't had time to visit this site ... this morning I posted a question and started poking around to see what's going on, and I came across this thread! BYC is so much fun and I have to make time to visit more often. Good luck getting your fertilized eggs!

lol.png

Quote:
Cyn! I love that book! It's how I learned everything (and BYC of course!) I think I'm going to put up an auction for it.

This link should show you what to look for to see if the eggs are fertile. You may have to turn the cracked egg over gently to find the bull's eye. Sometimes it is hiding on the bottom.

Fertile Egg Photos
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008&p=6

The act itself takes almost no time. There are different ways but often the rooster dances, the hen squats, the rooster climbs on and grabs her by the back of the head, she raises her tail, he does the deed, he hops off, she stands up, fluffs up and shakes to get the rooster's deposit in the correct place in her reproductive system, and it is over. If she does the fluffy shake, he probably hit the target.

Back
Top Bottom