Roosters comb looks bad, is it frostbite? before and after pics

riverpie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 6, 2010
About a week ago, our first snow, a dog attacked my rooster and hen. The rooster is missing his tail feathers and we were able to get him in the coop the next day but the night before he was out in about 8 degree or less with blizzard type winds. He normally roosts in a tree. He has been in the coop with the hen since that night and was used to roaming for food. What do you think has caused his comb to turn yellow and do you think it will turn red again? Is he missing something in his diet? Could it be frostbite? Could it be because he was terrorized? To my knowledge this is the first time that he's been in a coop. I put before and after pics of what he did and now does look like.

71296_rooster.jpg

71296_sany0003.jpg

71296_sany0005.jpg

missing beautiful tail feathers too:

71296_sany0008.jpg

The coop is ventilated. Here's a pic of what they are in. We put a piece of wood across part of the back to block the north wind.

71296_ridgetop_and_chicken_162.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would bet that's frostbite. It starts as white or yellow, and tuns black if the tissue is damaged enough that is dies (gets necrotic.) It's best to dub (cut off) the black parts if this happens. I'd put Neosorin on it at this stage and hope that at least most of it heals.

A frostbitten comb generally means the coop needs more ventilation, up high, to let the humid warm air out. It's more humidity than cold, generally, that causes it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my and he is such a beauty.

Ddawn....at what stage should you do something. My two roos both have just a little bit of frostbite. And is is ventalation...too much, not enough that makes it worse? It is not THAT cold here yet. But it has been in the 20's at night some. Am thinking if I knew I had to dub a rooster comb I might have had second thoughts....lol.

Any information would be appreciated.

Riverpie....I sure hate it for your roo!

I've used Neosporin for the past few days on my roo, and it seems to be getting better. I'm also interested in ventilation, humidity issues. This is our chickens' 3rd winter, and they've never had frost bite before. Why now?

My rooster has one of the points of his comb that looks like that...started out looking like mild frostbite (whiteish-yellow)...but now is that same bright yellow color and looks to be filled with puss. Is that what the yellow section on your roo's comb looks like too? I don't understand why it looks like it has been getting worse on my one guy (the one I bother to put vaseline on), while my other roo with the same size comb who sleeps in the same coop just has a tiny tiny bit of black frostbite on the very tip of his one comb.....weird. Does the puss mean its infected? Does he need penicillin?

I think before we start thinking about cutting off the part of our roos comb because of frost bite we better know what we're doing, theres alot of blood in that area, as for me I wouldn't want my roos to bleed to death because i didn't know what I was doing. If someone has done this before hopefully they will post if not maybe we should just let nature take it's course. It will heal on it's own.

Same problem here, has been a while since I have had any roo's with large combs ( my Araucana's have little pea combs) and my BCM rooster has all the tips on his comb black from frostbite(?). My coop has ventilation as well and it still happened as we have had temps here down to 8 degrees. Guess I'll just keep a close watch on it, I would be very leary about trimming on it as a comb does contain a whole lot of blood.

Aside from putting on neosporin or the like, I wouldn't do any more Let nature take its course and it will scab and fall off. I don't think cutting would accomplish anything better.
But yes, that is definitely frostbite. Sorry. I have some too that are getting it.

Has anyone ever experienced this, yesterday went to put up my chickens when I noticed my little bantam roos wattles looked like they were bloody. Brought him in and cleaned him up had alot of blood on the front of his feathers and his wattles were raw and had been bleeding, I washed him good then put blue kote all over his wattles and also his comb, then stuck him back into the coop hoping that none of the others would notice him since I'd covered it all up. This morning he look fine didn't look like any one had pecked him, then later I was watching him and a few hens outside my window he was standing stalk still like he was just waiting for one to start to chew on him. I have never seen this before, and thank goodness neither one did, tonight I brought him back in to have a look and it looks as though it's healing up put on more blue kote, and put him back into the coop. I am sure some of the girls did this but why would he stand there and act like he wanted them too? I have an older roo who is actually his daddy, and they have never had any fights the younger stays clear of ole dad. Has anyone ever seen the behaviour before?

Back
Top Bottom