Rooster's extreme reaction to vet visit

palaeosam

Chirping
Aug 15, 2016
Hi all,
I took our two Seramas for their routine nail clipping yesterday and things went a little differently than usual: normally she has a mad flap and won't settle down and he looks after her. This time, she quietly took the clipping (guess she's getting used to it) but he went into stress overload - his comb and wattles went purple and he developed dark rings around the eyes. When we put him back into the box, he flopped forward onto his chest and aimed his bum at the attending nurse - we thought he was trying to poop at her but there was nothing forthcoming. After about five minutes, the colour came back to him and he was able to support himself normally on his feet. I'm wondering how common this is and if there's anything we can do to help him.

Edit: I've added some pictures to illustrate his transformation. excuse the crusty look - he came straight from the dust bath to the vets.

View attachment 1410323 View attachment 1410322

Thanks,
Sam

Last edited:
If he's not doing anything but getting his nails clipped, why not do it yourself with a file? If he's that stressed by it, there may be a point where taking him there is worse for him than not doing so.

Back
Top Bottom