Roosters in a flock

Toby96

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
I recently hatched a few chicks and got a male and a female, they are now about 16 weeks old and are living with the other 5 (2ish year old) female red sex links. The male has just started to crow occasionally and I saw him trying to mount a female, even though they still chase him a bit. Is there anything I should do while he grows up and gradually takes control? Should I start keeping eggs in the fridge now?
Thanks, Toby

I keep them in the kitchen at room temperature, have looked into it and you should be careful putting them in the fridge as the shells are semi-porous and can absorb some bacteria that may have formed on meats/dairy products.
I heard you should keep them in a fridge if you have a rooster as it stops the embryo developing.

Toby,
What you heard about embryos developing at room temperature is an old wives tale. If that were true, who would have a need for incubators?
hu.gif

Eggs don't begin developing until they are at the right temperature (about 99.5 degrees fahrenheit) and humidity (about 50%) which can either be achieved under a chicken or in an incubator, they will stop developing/die when these conditions aren't met, so don't worry about having chicks jumping around your kitchen
jumpy.gif
You can continue keeping those eggs where you have them now
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom