*Roosters ONLY!* (Rooster Management)

Do I keep one, look for homes or direct them to the freezer?
If you will be hatching in the future and have the ability... sending them to your freezer is a fantastic and rewarding option...

Rehoming is nice if you can recoup your investment at all.

Keeping one... ya, if you and your flock are ready. Otherwise, maybe in the next batch! :pop

Mine get sent to freezer camp at about 13 weeks. Simply put I don't have the space nor do I want to drive the neighbors crazy with all the crowing, and I can use the money I would spend on feed for them for the girls doing the work of laying the eggs. They may not be as big at 13 weeks but the meat is much more tender!

Mine get sent to freezer camp at about 13 weeks. Simply put I don't have the space nor do I want to drive the neighbors crazy with all the crowing, and I can use the money I would spend on feed for them for the girls doing the work of laying the eggs. They may not be as big at 13 weeks but the meat is much more tender!

When raising game chickens the sales side is in the favor of the little cockreles. a friend of mine therefor makes, chicken pot pie, "Quail pie" or "pullet la creme with mushrooms" out of his excess pullets. So instead of sending his cockerels to freezed camp, his excess young pullets are so honored.

"WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE, IS GOOD FOR THE GANDER"
This is the crux of the Feminist Movement.

Hmmm..wonders what kind of chicken biz he runs?

I could ask the same question about why some people eat their roosters and not their hens. Do you care to opine?

I'll venture a guess. It is not because people are looking to grab some of the mojo of the hen or pullet but rather the people who eat just the cockerels are hormone challenged and these people therefore are looking to capture some of the excess testosterone present in cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom