*Roosters ONLY!* (Rooster Management)

My brother in law is in Huntsville. If you absolutely want to get rid of your roosters, I can get you his contact info. His birds free range.

Thank you very much for that offer, I really appreciate it! We still plan on harvesting the ones we have right now, but if in the future we aren’t able to I will keep him (via you) in mind.
I like the idea of harvesting our extra roosters, just have to get the rooster run in order

How much space is that? :pop

13x9 for the structure with multiple roosts at various levels. Trying to talk husband into doing 2 pop doors to avoid a boss bird from guarding a single door in the evening. They'll have free access to the pet pig pasture, which is about 1,200sq ft or so, has a 6ft fence, the pigs are only about 80 lbs each and have grazed with chickens before.

Thank you very much for that offer, I really appreciate it! We still plan on harvesting the ones we have right now, but if in the future we aren’t able to I will keep him (via you) in mind.
I like the idea of harvesting our extra roosters, just have to get the rooster run in order
Sounds good! I think this weekend we are going to start harvesting ours. I don't want to clean 13 at one time, so we are going to do a few at a time. Starting with the fatties and giving the others time to catch up

13x9 for the structure with multiple roosts at various levels. Trying to talk husband into doing 2 pop doors to avoid a boss bird from guarding a single door in the evening. They'll have free access to the pet pig pasture, which is about 1,200sq ft or so, has a 6ft fence, the pigs are only about 80 lbs each and have grazed with chickens before.
I counted my current crew... I do have 25 cockerels right now in my stag pen. My head rooster did a fantastic job keeping boys in line but he had an accident this summer and found his way to the table unfortunately. Their space is 12x12 coop with about 36' of roost. At least 11 of the current boys are bantam. Their pasture access is probably about the same as yours as well. I do feel as though I'm at about max capacity for that space... and I do not feel as though bantams changes that since personalities are as big as any other.

2 pop doors is a FANTASTIC idea! :thumbsup

I'm glad to hear my BCM's will be good meat to eat. I have 6 roosters w/14 hens. All born together. One all black rooster acts the boss, until yesterday. I think the one Blue phase straightened him out. They were all born May 12th. So 18 weeks old and quite big now. Time to rid of some boys. W/14 hens what would be a number to keep? I have 2 beautiful Blue phase w/red feathers down the neck and back. Plus 3 other Black
Versions similar. One plain black(ornery), dinner date.
Any suggestions on how many roosters w/14 hens?

I have an 8x12 coop. Good ventilation. Lots of roosts.
My plan is to get eggs then maybe have a hatch from the Silver Laced Wyandots maybe.
Go along and see.

I counted my current crew... I do have 25 cockerels right now in my stag pen.

Ours will start with that many, but we have a system down on who goes when, reducing the number until it's empty, then started with a new batch. Next year I'm planning on doing quarterly hatches since we've become so dinner driven. I've gotten pretty picky now that we've narrowed in on the breeds we like.

I'm glad to hear my BCM's will be good meat to eat. I have 6 roosters w/14 hens. All born together. One all black rooster acts the boss, until yesterday. I think the one Blue phase straightened him out. They were all born May 12th. So 18 weeks old and quite big now. Time to rid of some boys. W/14 hens what would be a number to keep? I have 2 beautiful Blue phase w/red feathers down the neck and back. Plus 3 other Black
Versions similar. One plain black(ornery), dinner date.
Any suggestions on how many roosters w/14 hens?

Since they were raised together you might be able to get away with 2, so long as you select two who get along. If you pick the nemesis it can get dramatic, but if you go with the buddy system they may maintain that. What I like about the Heritage type dual purpose birds is that if some drama happens at 8 months or a year old or so, you can cater the cook method to the age and fix it, no expiration date on a dinner invite.

Back
Top Bottom