Roosting Troubles....

Mainecoop

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 19, 2014
Hello everyone! I am new to chickens so kind of learning as I go. My chickens are about 8 weeks old and I moved them out to their coop Sunday night. They have gotten the hang of roosting, but it is on the one that is outside in the run and not the one inside the coop where I would like them to be at night. I don't know if it even matters where they roost, but should they be inside?? If it doesn't matter I will leave them be. At this point in time I am waiting until it is dark and moving them all into the coop and putting them on the roosting bar. Should I continue to do this until they do it on their own or leave them be. I guess my main concern is that they will roost outside in the winter as well if I let the behavior continue. Thanks for any suggestions!!

They can roost outside at night is you have 0% chance of predators and your run is Fort Knox. If not, they are sitting ducks and will all be picked off. I would take the outside roost down until they return to the coop every night for at least a week.

Something else you could do is leave them locked in the coop section with no access to the run for a week or so. Take that perch down in the run too as was mentioned. Your coop is probably a whole lot bigger than the brooder was so they should not be cramped for space. Chickens are creatures of habit. If they get used to going to bed in the coop they should keep doing that. That doesn't always work, sometimes they pile up at the door to the coop especially if it is elevated. You may still need to put them inside for a while but locking them in the coop section for a week is an easy way to try if the coop has enough space.

My brooder raised chicks usually don't start to roost at night until about 10 to 12 weeks. I have had some start at 5 weeks but that is unusual. Yours are ahead of the game on roosting but that just shows that each brood of chicks is different. You can never tell what they will do.

Back
Top Bottom