roosts and direct sunlight

TaylorC

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
Fort Collins
good or bad? I've got my roost planned on the south face with a window there as well, but maybe that's a bad idea, and I should put windows on every wall BUT the south. Not only the sunlight, but the summer heat may be a bit much even with windows open. Thoughts?

As far as where to put the windows, it depends where you live. Somewhere very hot where the winters are likewise mild, it is possible you might want to make the openings in your other sides (I would suggest not windows, as such, but partly- or totally-mesh walls) and leave the S side solid for shade. Somewhere very hot but with coldish winters, you could put a proper window on the S side and just cover it with shutters or whatever during summer, or build a large enough roof overhang that no sun hits the window in summer but it does in winter. Anywhere else, I'd put some windows/openings on the south side for sure.

As far as whether it is ok to have the roost along the S side when there is also a mesh-covered large opening or window there... I don't offhand see why not. As dacjohns says, they only sleep at night
smile.png
You do want to make sure the roost isn't located anywhere that it will be jammed right up next to necessary wintertime ventilation (which is most often on the S side), but other than that, do whatcha want IMO
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Don't know where you live. My girls love to sit on the roost and sunbathe during these ccccccooooooollllllldddddd winter months. The window is closed, so I don't worry about drafts blowing on them while they sleep.

Yeah, I'm in Fort Collins and it does get pretty cold some days. I think I'll take Pat's idea of a shutter on the south window. Plan is shaping up.
smile.png

Also, Pat your ventilation and cold coop pages are excellent! Thanks for writing those up for us.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom