Rouens with Magpies????

chickel

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
NH
I have a pair of Rouens and have recently fallen in love with Magpies. My question is......are Magpies too small to live with Rouens. I wouldn't want my Rouen drake to hurt the Magpies because he is very "FRIENDLY" with his lady friends.

Any help would be appreciated!

Don't know anything about Rouens (except they are big?), but I think you definitely need to give the Magpies a chance. I confess that I gave my nice breeding pair to a member of the forum because the male was running my two Runner females ragged (not to mention the poor Runner drake trying to defend his mate), but EVERYONE that visited our house, LOVED the Magpies best. My husband said, but "they are the Puddle Ducks!, the 'PERSONALITY' of the duck pen", but I gave them away anyway (TO A WONDERFUL HOME) because I wanted to concentrate on my Runners (much lighter weight than the Rouens) but I bet the Magpies can hold their own anyway - 'Streemers' are you out there to give a positive word for the Magpies with heavier weight ducks?

BUT ... I kept one of the Magpie pairs' ducklings (the least desirable marking-wise, but 'she' seemed a bit timid and and small compared to the others so I must felt protective and was hoping she was a female (but she's a 'He'
lol.png
)) - oh well.

Anyway - I think the breed needs defenders and you should go for it! But try to get some fairly nicely marked ones - just because it's good for the continuation of the breed. i

Will try to post pics of the pair I gave away and ducklings if you are interested.

Here are picks of mine (or someone else's now).

I've never had more than a few Magpies at a time and have kept a mixed flock for years. My Mags lived with Swedes and Rouens and Pekins. They stayed near the bottom of the pecking order, but never really had a problem. Nobody seemed to pick on them.

Oh yes, I love pictures!
I am having a hard time finding some this late in the year, but will keep trying to find some or some eggs to hatch.
Thanks for the info!
Kelly

Okay here is the pair that went to 'Streemers' - and the ducklings, when they were babies, some of which went to another forum member:

31977_adult_pair.jpg

31977_magpies4.jpg

I think there are black and whites, blue and whites and chocolates and white (though I've not seen a picture of the chocolates).

Good luck with your decision.

Those are GORGEOUS. I just pre-ordered some magpies from Holderread--they are sold out for this year, but are taking reservations for 2010 (I'm hoping mine will come in March).

Thanks for sharing the pics. They look nicely marked, too, although I am no expert. They sure are pretty!

Back
Top Bottom