Rough Summer... Need help!

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
The temps have been high 90*-106*. Little rain. I have been letting someone else take care of my girls on a reg. basis and I have been cking on them once in a while...because we moved and haven't gotten the new coop done... They have mites, they might have worms, they look terrible, they haven't been able to free range in a month or two..... Caregiver has not given them grit, oyster shell or electrolytes even thou they have been there for him to use. I was giving him money for Laynea and he was buying cheapo laying pellets and scratch...

Tomorrow-- I will be getting what I need to help get their health back up to par --I HOPE...

Any suggestions, Ideas, etc to help boost them quickly while I am doing the maintance of their health??

The girls are 2 and 3 yrs old. But during all this --they are still producing eggs. 13 hens and I am still getting 8eggs everyday-- sometime even more...
thank you all.

Dixiedoodle --

sorry to hear about what happened when someone wasn't as concerned as you are about the wellbeing of your chickens.

IT sounds like you know exactly what needs to be done, and you listed it in your post. Electrolytes in this heat, oyster shell, grit, quality food (and water) and dust for mites, perhaps deworm them. Once they can free range and they get the care that you will be giving them it soiunds like all will be well.

Amazing hens that at that age will still produce so many eggs---and in this horrendous weather. They must be benefiting from the care that you provided them for so long. They just need your care or equivalent once again.

Sounds like a good plan.
thumbsup.gif
Nobody cares for them like we do our own.
hugs.gif

I am not blaming the caregiver. They are my chickens and I should have been perpared to bring them w/ me... BUT I wish he had just told me --that he couldn't /wouldn't do it... But they are where they need to be.. and I will work hard to get them healthy.....

Thank you for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom