Ruff Roo

13Bettys

Songster
Mar 7, 2017
Pinson, TN
I have 27 hens and 1 Roo. He is almost a year old and very friendly with humans. A good portion of my girls have bald backs/heads from him though. He is not mean just really ruff with them. Is there any solution aside from separating him from the flock? I don’t know that it actually would but I feel like this would be cruel and make him “sad” since he has never been separated. Please do not post to grt rid of him, it’s not happening and I know a lot of people say there is no need for a Roo unless you want to hatch eggs. I did not intentionally get him (was sold as a pulley) but he is part of the family now.

A good rooster is worth keeping.
They do make saddles for overworked hens back.
Also if your rooster has spurs it may be a good idea to remove them.
Otherwise i can think of no remedy for his overly rough treatment of the hens.
Good luck
Remove the spurs completely? I just trimmed my roos spurs(went a little too deep) I am all ears if there is a way to remove them all together.
My hens head and backs are bare as well OP.
And sorry don't mean to hyjack your thread, just expanding on it a little, please forgive.

Remove the spurs completely? I just trimmed my roos spurs(went a little too deep) I am all ears if there is a way to remove them all together.
And sorry don't mean to hyjack your thread, just expanding on it a little, please forgive.
No worries! We are all on here to share knowledge and learn what we can.

I was reading and people use those nail covers that are used i cats nails. Not sure onthe sizes but I eould think that if the end is pointy them the cap would fit.

You can leave your rooster with the flock and accept the feather loss as long as there's no skin damage. Otherwise penning him separately where he's still a part of the flock isn't cruel. You can try saddles but those make the hens uncomfortable. I'd rather have the rooster in time out for a while, than put hens through saddles for the whole year.

277F3C93-FB06-44AD-8487-232AB0456864.jpeg
Well I’m going to try saddles for a bit. We are working on building a separate enclosure at the end of the existing run so they can see each other if we have to separate for any reason. I have 6 saddles made so far, this is one ☝️. I have plenty of scrap material so no cost to make and the girls don’t seem to mind them so far. At first a couple were funny but it didn’t last but a few minutes. One would be ok then look behind her and see it on her back then jump, squawk and run . It was quite comical but as I said it o didn’t last long. Only a few times.

Back
Top Bottom