Ruffled neck feathers, what does it mean?

yankiwi

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
New Zealand West Coast
65891_prefight_1499.jpg

These girls (at least we think they are girls) are two of three NH Reds that are about nine weeks old. They get along fine most of the time, they snuggle up in the coop either on the floor or on their perch but when we let them out into the run they run around chasing each other and sometimes one of them ruffles its neck feathers like this. What does it mean? After they do that they settle down in harmony again until nightfall when they go back into the coop and we latch the doors. We let them out around 2 or 3pm and sunset is about 9.00 as we are in the southern hemisphere.
Thanks for any comments.

It is chicken sparring and development of a social structure. Not so sure they are pullets.
hide.gif
The bird to the left I'm betting is a cockerel, and the other looks suspicious.

Like a dog who hair stands up along it's back and neck, or a cat who puffs out it's fur and archs it's back, it's all about trying to look bigger and meaner, when in a confrontation, or a possible threat is detected. In the animal kingdom it could mean life or death, as to how mean one looks.

I know my Wife looks bigger and meaner, when she is mad at me..
duc.gif
lol.png

It's all chicken sparring... has to do with "pecking order" and if they are only 9 weeks, the one on the left may be a roo.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
X2
i have 4 about the same age & 1 is a roo the others are pullets & the roo does this to the girls & they just walk away from him. the girls fly at each other & have a bit of a set to but it doesnt come to fluffing up or anything like that.
but in your pic the one fluffed up does look like a roo he has very red comb & wattles compared to the other one so im thinking its 90% roo
also has pointy tail & feathers so make that 95% roo..

Last edited:

The breeder came by and saw the rooster. A few days later he exchanged the roo for a pullet. The girls are a lot more mellow now, it's funny how their group personality changed.

Quote:
I use the term "raising hackles" since that is the type feathers involved. Plays out in multiple contexts. Rank determnation and challenges, play and part of typical chicken combat.

Raised hackles makes the displaying animal appear larger. Males and more mature birds typically have larger hackles.

I wonder how many words or terms in common English usage are poultry related? Pecking order, raising hackles, flying the coop, cooped up--there must be lots more.

Back
Top Bottom