Run advice to contain bantam hen and chicks

orpingtonnz

Chirping
Feb 17, 2023
New Zealand
Ok so my garden is super overgrown.

On the left is deer fencing to about 6 feet high, on the right is a retaining wall which is about 5 feet high. The deer fencing has the bottom 50cm lined with a finer wire mesh. Behind the tree at the end there is another fence, wooden about maybe 5 feet high from memory but I don't spend much time behind the tree so am not 100% sure.

We have just got a bantam (crossbreed, just looks like a normal chicken) and her chicks which seem to be half frizzle.

I think my hen will be able to fly much higher than I had planned for, so I'm not sure how carried away I need to get with fencing etc.

The things I am wondering are:

1. Will a regular bantam scale 6 foot fence /would she go through the deer fencing.

2. Will a regular bantam fly up onto 5 foot retaining wall?

3. For how long will a 3 foot high plastic mesh fence keep her and the chicks contained, assuming that she will stay put near the chicks.

4. She just joined our family on Wednesday and her and the chicks are the only chickens we have, how long do I need to keep her in the coop for her to think of it as her base before letting her out with the chicks?

5. In general, how prone to wandering do you think they will be? Like if they can fly to a new area do you think they will or do you think they would just chill on the ground given that the area should be pretty nice for them.

The coop is fairly predator proof and hopefully completely predator proof by the end of the weekend and it is 4m x 2m.

This run area will be for daytime only, I'm in New Zealand in the suburbs so hopefully not too worried about predators in the day, biggest problem will be cats but hopefully they can hold their own against them when they are grown (I will supervise when they are still chicks).

Basically what I'm wanting to do is put a plastic mesh fence along the perimeter of the area for now and see how they go on the first instance, then jazz up the run as needed to keep them in as they grow. I'm really hoping they will be happy on the ground and not escape because if that is the case then they can access much of the rest of the property as well as it has fences about 3 feet high.

20230223_111705.jpg

They can walk right through the deer fencing. The chicks will be able to fly over it before they are three months old.

If you keep them in the coop with feed for a week ot so they will start to consider it home and should return to roost and eat.

When you let them out they will enjoy all the forage. But, it's just a matter of time before they wander off to explore.
Bummer, looks like my building project will have to continue. Luckily they seem very happy in the coop at the moment so I have time to get it sorted.

Hi!
When I have bantam chicks, I add hardware cloth under the netting and about a foot high on the runs or coops. Keeping the top of the netting loosely installed at the top will help deter climbing and perching foes.
Best to you!

Back
Top Bottom